Marriage and registered partnership

To register either a marriage or a partnership in Switzerland or abroad, your main point of reference is the registry office in which you have decided to celebrate the marriage or conclude your partnership. It is normally this office that decides what documents are required to mark this civil status event.

List of registry offices in Switzerland (de, fr, it)

You are advised nonetheless to learn in advance about the formalities involved and the civil status documents that may have to be prepared prior to the celebration of a civil status event. These advance steps will facilitate matters when it comes to entering your marriage or registered partnership in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar). To register in the register Infostar, the documents listed on this webpage are to be submitted to the Swiss representation competent for the country where the celebration has taken place.

Detailed information can be found on the German and French page.


Please report all changes in civil status to this Regional Consular Centre without delay.
Requirements concerning all civil status documents that are referred to under the heading “Civil status”:

  • All documents must be originals (photocopies not accepted)
  • Documents must have been issued within the past 6 months


Marrying in Cyprus

Church weddings (Orthodox ceremony)

The Orthodox Church is the state religion in Cyprus, and this means that all documents pertaining to civil status that are issued by the Orthodox Church are accepted by the state as legally binding (marriage/divorce deeds, certificates of eligibility to marry).

In view of this, Orthodox Church marriages are also recognised in Switzerland.

With respect to the required documentation you should consult the relevant priest at the church of your choice.

Civil weddings

If both partners are Swiss nationals, they each require a passport, a valid certificate of civil status and, where applicable, a divorce decree (in the case of a previous marriage) or death certificate (if the previous spouse is deceased). We recommend obtaining detailed information in advance regarding the precise formalities from the relevant civil registry office, and/or consulting the website of Nicosia Municipality.

After the wedding has taken place, a notarised copy of the marriage certificate must be submitted to this Regional Consular Centre, which will forward it to the relevant family register in Switzerland for updating.

If one of the partners is not a Swiss national, the following documents are required (all of which must be either originals or notarised copies):

  • Extract from the register of births
  • Certificate of residence
  • Passport (for inspection)
  • Certificate of unmarried status/certificate of civil status (if widowed, original of death certificate of deceased spouse; if divorced, original of divorce decree)

Marrying in Switzerland

If both partners live in Cyprus but wish to marry in Switzerland, they are required to visit the Regional Consular Centre in person. The request concerning the preparatory procedure for marriage, with indication of where the wedding is to take place, and a declaration concerning compliance with the conditions for marrying must be handed over, together with the required documentation. The municipality of origin will then examine the documentation, and authorise the designated civil registry office in Switzerland to perform the marriage ceremony.

Before visiting the Regional Consular Centre, please read the two fact sheets below (available in German and English).

If you plan to take up residence in Switzerland after marrying or registering a partnership, bear in mind that your foreign spouse or partner will need a residence permit and may require an entry visa. Please consult the Visa – Entry to and Residence in Switzerland section regarding an application to enter Switzerland for the purpose of family reunification.

If you are registered with a Swiss representation and have married or entered into a registered partnership in Switzerland you will need to report your change in civil status to the representation concerned so that the register of the Swiss Abroad can be updated. This will require submission of the following documents (as hard copy or in electronic form):

  • photocopy of the Swiss marriage certificate, Swiss family record or Swiss registered partnership document;
  • photocopy of the identity document of the foreign spouse or partner.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

If prior to the marriage or registered partnership your Swiss spouse or partner was not resident in the consular district of the Swiss representation, and plans to take up residence with you following the said civil status event, he or she will have to register in accordance with the application procedure described under the heading “Registration and change of address”.