UNDP: Strengthening of the democratic process in Egypt
The UNDP programme has a double focus on (1) enhancing electoral procedures, in particular the establishment of an independent electoral management body (2) strengthening the capacity of young and female rural voters to exercise their right to vote. It has won the trust of Egyptian authorities and complements Switzerland’s previous support for election observation which found that – although results were consistent with voters’ intentions – further process improvements were required.
Weiterentwicklung von Recht und Rechtsprechung
- Public outreach and voter information about the Parliamentary elections is strengthened.
- Technical and operational capacity of national electoral authorities is upgraded.
- Subsequent elections processes will benefit from additional support based on lessons learned of the 2011 elections (subsequent structuring of an Electoral Management Body)
- Access of Women and Rural Dwellers to their Citizenship Rights in the 2011 and future elections is increased.
- Programme support (training materials, equipment, comparative experiences, voter outreach) for the legislative and presidential elections in 2011/2 has been instrumental, according to Egyptian electoral stakeholders.
- Programme has managed to win the trust of relevant Egyptian authorities, as demonstrated in a joint information event for donors in September 2012.
- Entwicklungsprogramm der Vereinten Nationen
One of the key elements in the transition of Egypt towards a democratically accountable system of government is a sound and credible electoral system which ensures that results accurately reflect the will of Egyptian voters. A main achievement of the transition so far has been the consistent effort to carry out electoral processes and acknowledge their results. The observation of the parliamentary and presidential elections 2011/2 by the Carter Center as sole accredited international observer has shown that results were consistent with voters’ intentions, but that the election process, voters’ outreach and media coverage needed to be improved further. There is political will to establish a professional, independent electoral management body.
To enhance national capacity to conduct credible elections.
Electoral authorities, civil society at large and specifically young and female rural voters and the media
Resultate von früheren Phasen:
No previous phase, but key insights from on-going programme implementation since 2011:
Organisation der Vereinten Nationen (UNO)
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 1'800'000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 1'780'461|
Phase 1 17.11.2012 - 31.12.2015 (Completed)