There are certain rules governing the granting of Swiss nationality to a child. The following qualify as Swiss at birth:

  • the child of a married couple at least one of whom is Swiss.
  • the child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child’s father.
  • a foreign child in its minority (born after 1 January 2006) whose Swiss father is not married to the foreign mother acquires Swiss nationality as if from birth once paternity has been confirmed.

Registration in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) of a birth which has occurred abroad requiresthe  submission of the documents listed below to the Swiss representation responsible for the country in which the birth has taken place.

Registration of Birth

In order to register the birth of a child of a Swiss, the following document is required:

  • the Certificate of Birth, issued by the Jordanian Ministry of interior department of civil status and passports. Please ask for the English version - in this case you do not have to provide an official translation to one of the Swiss national languages. The required certificate should not be older than six months and has to be duly legalised by the Jordanian Foreign Ministry.

As soon as the confirmation of inscription of the place of origin has been sent back to this Embassy, applications for a Swiss passport or ID card for the child are possible.

In the case of a birth in Switzerland, parents registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the birth of the child. They must submit the following document to enable the representation to update its register of the Swiss Abroad:

  • the original birth certificate of the newborn Swiss infant or the original Swiss family book or certificate

There is no fee for this registration.

Swiss identity documents and foreign residence permit

A regular Swiss identity document can only be issued once the birth of the child has been registered in the Swiss civil status register, or rather once the child’s Swiss nationality has been confirmed. In urgent cases, please contact the competent Swiss representation.

Passport and identity card

Regarding the foreign residence permit for the child, please refer to the competent foreign authority.

Authorisation to enter and take residence in Switzerland for foreign children (family reunification)

For foreign children who are joining their parents residing in Switzerland, please refer to the information on the following webpage:

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days