Registration of Marriage celebrated in Malta
Marriages concluded in MALTA are recognized in Switzerland unter the condition that there is no impediment to marriage under Swiss law.
In order that your marriage may be registered with the relevant civil authorities in Switzerland, the documents listed below are required following the marriage ceremony (photocopies cannot be accepted):
- Full marriage certificate (certified copy of an entry of marriage)
- Original of full birth certificate of the foreign spouse (short versions of birth certificates which do not mention the parent's names cannot be accepted).
- If the foreign spouse has been married before, the documents concerning the dissolution of the former marriage, i.e. original of death certificate or original of divorce decree (please indicate former spouse's unmarried name) and original of marriage certificate mentioning the dissolution of marriage (in English)
- Original of certificate of civil status
- Original of certificate of residence or affidavit
- Original of certificate of citizenship
- Photocopy of the foreign spouse's passport
All certificates of civil status issued in Malta habe to be provided with an Apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Valletta.
All documents cannot be older than six months.
All original documents (photocopies cannot be accepted)
Most of the certificates of civil status can be ordered online under the link of the Ministry for home affairs, pulic registry:
Certificates of civil status