Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Support for the Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies (MEDAC)
A long-standing strategic partnership is developing between Switzerland and Malta with the aim of building confidence and promoting peace and stability in the Mediterranean Region. Switzer-land supports the Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies (MEDAC) through a resident Swiss professor and scholarships for junior diplomats from North Africa and the Middle East to take MEDAC's Master of Diplomacy.
Favorire la crescita economica e migliorare le condizioni di lavoro
Ricerca e sviluppo
- Around 60 young diplomats from North Africa and the Middle East obtained a Master of Diplomacy.
- An alumni network is established. Swiss embassies in different countries organize events and meetings for the alumni in order to encourage networking.
- Swiss diplomats and politicians gave lectures and conferences at MEDAC.
- Every year, the MEDAC students visited the several UN and other international organisations in the city of Geneva and Bern. Their link to Switzerland has been reinforced.
- International reputation of MEDAC is strengthened.
- Swiss support to MEDAC is being continued through other sources than the Swiss Contribution.
- National State Institute North
The Mediterranean region is marked by a number of major social, economic and political challenges. At the same time, peace and stability in this region is viewed as a cru-cial factor for ensuring peace and stability in the whole of Europe. The challenges range from instances of difficult inter-state relations, environmental and demographic risks to serious democratic deficits in the region.
To contribute to confidence building and promoting peace and stability in the Mediterranean region through a close partnership between Malta and Switzerland.
Junior diplomats, mainly from the Maghreb and Mashreq
A resident professor from Switzerland holds the so-called Swiss Chair, covering part of the Master of Diplomacy pro-gramme. Every year, up to 15 scholarships are offered, mainly to countries in North Africa and the Middle East. A follow-up, including trainees from previous years, will be or-ganised together with the Swiss and Maltese Embassies in the region. The "Human Dimension Programme" will take place every summer. Swiss academics and diplomats con-tribute to specific thematic issues and MEDAC events.
Contributo svizzero all'allargamento dell'UE
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione statale straniera
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1'900'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1'845'515|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 1 01.10.2010 - 30.09.2014 (Completed)