Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland

To see what rules apply to your own particular situation when entering Switzerland, consult the online Travelcheck

Anyone who can prove to be fully vaccinated can enter Switzerland.

For national visa D and consular related inquiries (e.g. issues regarding passports, authentication of documents etc.), also in relation with Covid-19, please contact the Regional Consular Center in Bangkok, Thailand at +66 2 674 6900.

Which COVID-19 vaccines allow entry to Switzerland? Find list here (scroll down to relevant chapter).

Pandemic-related measures for all travelers

(Including holders of D-Visa)

  • On boarding, everyone aged 16 and over intending to enter Switzerland must be able to show the negative result of a PCR test (performed no more than 72 hours prior to boarding) or a rapid antigen test (performed no more than 24 hours previously). If you cannot show such a test you will not be allowed to board the aircraft. Read here the exemption to the test requirement on boarding.
  • You need to fill in an entry form before you cross the border. (entry form). 
  • After entering Switzerland: Are you not vaccinated or recovered? Then you must take another PCR test or rapid antigen test between the 4th and 7th day after entry. This applies to people age 16 and over. For people entering the country and leaving before day 7 (and staying for 6 nights), another PCR or rapid antigen test is not obligatory but recommended. The test result and the number of the entry form or a copy of the contact card must be notified to the canton.
  •  Have you received a negative test result? In this case you must report this to the canton in the form of a COVID test certificate. Have you received a positive test result? In this case, notify the canton of the test result. Contact details for the cantonal authorities are listed further down this page. The costs of the test are borne by the persons themselves.

Entry Form (swissplf)

Everyone entering Switzerland must present a completed entry form. Find here the entry form at

Important: From October 2021, a COVID certificate will be mandatory in Switzerland for certain events and indoor activities. Please find below the detailed information and visit the following pages:

Coronavirus: use of the COVID certificate

I was vaccinated abroad. How can I get a COVID certificate?”


No quarantine required for travelers entering Switzerland from Myanmar.


We highly recommend to contact your airline in order to find out there regulations for boarding.

Information for non-vaccinated persons

Travel from Thailand to Switzerland for unvaccinated persons is only allowed under the exceptions of the cases listed here, “freedom of movement” & “Situations of special necessity”.

If you do not need a visa or you are already holding a valid Schengen Visa C, the Regional consular center in Bangkok might issue a Laissez-Passer to facilitate entry into Switzerland as an unvaccinated person. Please contact the visa section by email.

  • Holders of a valid Swiss National Visa D (for family reunion, study, work, etc.) are allowed to enter

Attention: Test requirements are applicable! Please scroll down to chapter: “I am not vaccinated or recently recovered from COVID-19, what should I bear in mind?”

Various regulations apply for entering Switzerland. A basic distinction is made between citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and those of other countries. The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the responsible authority in Switzerland.


Since Switzerland’s adherence to the Schengen and Dublin agreements came into force (12 December 2008), Swiss representations abroad are able to issue certain categories of visa, depending on the length of stay and purpose of the journey in Switzerland. Please select one of the following options.

Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period: for example, in a context of tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, participating in a conference or in sporting/cultural events, etc.

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a stay of more than 90 days within a 180-day period. It is subject to the authorisation of the cantonal migration authority competent for the intended place of residence. For example: long-term student, family reunification, marriage in Switzerland, etc.

Airport transit visa

For citizens of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport and do not enter the Schengen territory.

Labour / Work permits

Admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland is subject to the authorisation of the competent cantonal authority. The entry visa is granted only when the requested authorisations have been delivered.