Laid out in Peru’s Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) submitted to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change under the Paris Agreement
Support to Climate Change Management (GestionCC )-Phase 2
All countries are faced with the challenge of translating the landmark Paris Agreement on Climate Change at the national level. Switzerland and Peru have both innovated in setting up the governance structures needed to tackle climate change. This project aims to improve Peru’s ability to successfully implement its commitments under the Paris Agreement and to share its experience in Latin America and globally in order to raise ambition in climate change adaptation and mitigation.
Klimawandel & Umwelt
- Inter-ministerial working group on NDC in Peru
Subnational governments of Peru
The private sector in Peru
Regional and international NDC platforms and actors: NDC Partnership, Low Emission Resilient and Development Strategies Global Partnership, German International Climate Initiative (IKI), UNDP
- Enhanced instruments and coordination for climate change management at the national level: Interventions, studies and projects facilitate decision making and cross-sector and multilevel coordination for NDC implementation in two prioritised sectors (agriculture/forestry and energy).
- Improved climate information for decision making: Products for assessing vulnerability to climate change and informing key planning and investment decisions in three sectors (health, forestry and water) have been produced using high quality climate change scenarios.
- Improved NDC implementation at the sub-national level: Two territories in Peru (Are-quipa and the Amazon) have increased their ability to implement NDCs through increased awareness and capacities, availability of technical information, and access to finance.
- Strengthened NDC global exchange: Best practices and lessons learned on NDC implementation are shared regionally and globally to boost climate change mitigation and adaptation ambition.
Climate change scenarios for 2050.
Vulnerability assessments for (3) sectors.
Inputs for normative proposals (1) under the Climate Change Framework act.
Project documents (2) to access finance.
(2) Sub national innovative pilot projects.
Training module accredited by Universities.
- Regional and global publications (printed and online) and exchanges (4) on NDCs.
Phase 1 contributed to creating an enabling environment for starting NDC implementation by influencing national and subnational climate change regulations and institutional arrangements, tapping into national and international sources of finance to fund climate change measures, building leadership and capacity and raising awareness on the need to tackle climate change.
Subnational governments and the private sector will be the ones delivering the largest part of the NDC, but require adequate enabling conditions in order to do so. These are not yet fully in place.
There is high potential for innovation, collective knowledge development and international cooperation on NDC implementation which must be further exploited.
- Ausländischer Privatsektor Süden/Osten
- German-financed initiative "Enabling conditions for investment in the transition to a low carbon society in Latin America"
Partnership for Market Readiness (PMR) – for monitoring, reporting and verification
Low Emission Resilient and Development Strategies for Latin America (LEDS LAC)
- EU-financed Euroclima+ programme
|Hintergrund||Worldwide, the Paris Agreement has created the framework for accelerating climate action through countries’ Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs). Sharing best practices among countries can help speed implement-ation and increase ambition. Peru stands as a forerunner in tackling climate change. There is a need to consolidate the results of the work of the Inter-ministerial working group on climate change and to deepen the involvement of sub-national governments and the private sector to start implementation of the NDC as of 2020.|
|Ziele||The project will contribute to improving Peru’s ability to implement its Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) under the Paris Agreement and influence positively at regional and international levels to raise ambition in mitigation and adaptation to climate change.|
Resultate von früheren Phasen:
Internationale oder ausländische NGO
SouthSouthNorth Trust (SSNt), an international NGO based in South Africa, implemented phase 1 of the project based on an international public tender and will remain the lead contractual partner for phase 2. The Peru-based Libelula Institute for Global Change (Libelula), will, as in phase 1, be sub-contracted by SSNt.
|Koordination mit anderen Projekten und Akteuren||
|Budget||Laufende Phase Schweizer Beitrag CHF 3'070'000 Bereits ausgegebenes Schweizer Budget CHF 2'374'916|
|Projektphasen||Phase 2 01.12.2018 - 30.09.2021 (Laufende Phase) Phase 1 01.01.2011 - 28.02.2018 (Completed)|