South Sudan, Mercy Corps: Back to farming, Nhialdu
The Bentiu PoC was established in December 2013 with currently over 120’000 people living in the site At the beginning, people mainly came to the PoC seeking protection from violence, but since mid-2015 people’s main reason is to receive food due the chronic food insecurity situation in the area created by the conflict. The situation shows prospects for response and recovery interventions outside the Bentiu PoC.
Sudan del Sud
Agricoltura e sicurezza alimentare
Assistenza umanitaria & RRC
Ricostruzione e riabilitazione (till 2016)
- Light-Base Camp in Nhialdu functional.
- Food production re-established.
- Retention of part of the cultivated produce.
- New preservation methods and cooking methods introduced.
- Humanitarian Partners have established static presence in Nhialdu.
- Households have received seeds and farming tools and started farming, using traditional and innovative techniques.
- Households have increased their access to food in terms of diversity and quality.
- The Nhialdu Community has established a preparedness plan to ensure seeds availability for the next planting cycle
- Other international or foreign NGO North
Since December 2013, the population in the Nhialdu Payam catchment area did not benefit from permanent humanitarian presence. For security reasons, people on the other hand could not cultivate There is a high risk of missing another cultivation season, for lack of agricultural inputs, while the number of exits from the Bentiu PoC site is increasing because of households’ preference to return home or resettle with the intention to cultivate.
Increase food production, preservation and dietary diversity, and re-establish a humanitarian presence in Nhialdu Payam.
1’000 vulnerable households.
|Effetti a medio termine||
Risultati principali attesi:
|Partner del progetto||
ONG internazionale o straniera
IRC, DRC, Concern Worldwide (potential static partners)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
IOM (LBC), UNICEF (Mercy Corps WASH project), WFP (food distribution)
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 360'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 275'308 Progetto totale dalla prima fase Budget inclusi partner del progetto CHF 360'000|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 1 16.05.2016 - 15.02.2017 (Completed)