Efficient and Accountable Local Governance
Local Governments in Bangladesh are tasked to deliver important public services like education, agricultural extension and health. The project supports the clarification of functions for the local public sector, the enhancement of financial management and citizen participation for increased accountability in service delivery, with a focus on the sub-district level, and strengthening women’s participation in political processes.
Gestión de las finanzas públicas
Participación democrática y sociedad civil
- Upazila Parishads plan and deliver services in a more effective, inclusive and accountable way through a strengthened governance framework.
- Union Parishads are strengthened as pro-poor, inclusive, climate sensitive, effective and accountable service providers (not covered by SDC contribution)
- Policy dialogue addresses functional assignments and division of responsibilities among tiers of Local Government Institutions including the coordination with line ministry officers and public engagement strategies.
- Upazila Parishad Committees strengthened their oversight capacity and horizontal coordination with line departments and increased upwards accountability to the District for inclusive, effective and accountable planning and service delivery
- Upazila Parishad financial management, funding absorption capacity and financial accountability have improved
- Upazila Parishad Committees strengthened their downward accountability through inclusive public engagement mechanisms and practices
- Women Upazila Parishad members strengthened their ability to fulfill their roles and duties in the council work
- Functional assignments of Union Parishads, Upazila Parishads and Zila Parishads are clarified for at least three transferred subjects
- Public engagement strategies of Union Parishads/Upazila Parishads/Zila Parishads have become strengthened through overcoming institutional and structural change.
- Union Parishad/Upazila Parishad Committees and inter-ministerial committee are strengthened for better performance of Local Government Institutions
- 4 Rules adopted and 3 expecting vetting
- First election of 1’577 women to reserved seats in all 487 Upazila Parishads
- 16’000 women representatives from Union Parishads, Upazila Parishads and Municipality have been mobilized through 551 Women Development Forums to strengthen their ability in fulfilling their roles in the council
- Five Year Development Plans elaborated by 207 out of 487 Upazila Parishads in an inclusive way
- 6 key Upazila Parishad Committees are operational, advising the Parishad on services in specific sectors
- Programa de las Naciones Unidas para el Desarrollo
The 7th Five Year Plan 2016-2020 of the Government of Bangladesh identifies Local Governments as key vehicles for local democracy and service-delivery. Decentralisation reform takes incremental steps including increases in financial transfers linked to yearly performance assessments or new elections for Local Governments at district level. At the same time, the party in power consolidated considerably its control over the Local Governments.
Main stumbling blocks for better coordinated and effective local service delivery are insufficient legal clarity on the functional assignments to be fulfilled by the local public sector and a lack of authority of Local Governments over local bureaucracy. Moreover, citizens lack effective mechanisms to hold service providers accountable.
Local Government Institutions* are able to more effectively carry out their mandates including delivery of public services, in a more accountable, transparent and inclusive manner.
* Upazila Parishads and Union Parishads on sub-district and community level, respectively.
|Grupos destinarios||16 Upazilas in 8 districts, local bureaucracy of 3 line departments, media, civil society and policy makers at central level|
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
Local Government Division; Finance Division; Planning Commission; Line Ministries for Education, Health, Agriculture
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
LGSP III 2017-21 (WB) , Upazila Governance and Development Project 2016-21 (JICA)
SDC projects: PROLOG II, Aparajita, Sharique
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 4’000’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 3’860’000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 2 01.11.2017 - 31.12.2022 (Fase en curso) Fase 1 01.05.2010 - 31.12.2016 (Completed)|