Moldova - Making the Most of Migration
Moldova pays great social costs as a result of high outward migration. The potential benefits of migration remain underexploited. Migrants are not involved in the development of their home communities, they do not have access to trusted investment opportunities, and the private sector fails to develop tailor-made products and services for migrants. Switzerland supports Moldova in creating a favorable environment for leveraging migrants' human and financial capital for the development of their home country.
República de Moldova
Participación de la diáspora en el desarrollo
Migración en general (aspectos de desarrollo y partenariados)
- Women and men affected directly and indirectly by migration benefit from formal and comprehensive services and actively engage in the development of their home country and communities
- National and local public authorities implement adequate migration policies and create an enabling environment for the productive involvement of Moldovan migrants in their homeland development
- Private sector partners at local, national and international levels take innovative actions to develop and test products, services and investment channels, relevant for migrants and their families
- Switzerland contributed to bringing M&D high on Moldova's political agenda. The development potential of migration is now acknowledged by all political forces. The government is engaged in international fora on M&D and plays a pioneering role in expioring new approaches in this field
- Capacities of national authorities to collect and analyse data on migration processes, and to develop a diaiogue with the Moldovan diaspora improved significantiy
- Moldovan migrants and their families have better access to practical support during the migration experience. A number of specific service-packages have been developed based on demands identified through ongoing market analysis. Services are available through four one stop shops or online
- Organización Internacional para las Migraciones
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- Programa de las Naciones Unidas para el Desarrollo
- International Agency for Source Country Information (IASCI)
About 1/3 of the active Moldovan labor force has migrated permanently or temporarily in the last decade. Moldova is among the world's top remittance recipients (about 22% of the GDP). Migrants' remittances have had significant social effects and improved the livelihood of many. At the same time, the savings of Moldovan migrants represent a vastly underexploited Pool of private capital, amounting to billions of Euro. A quarter of Moldovan migrants are interested to invest, together with local public authorities, in their home communities, in projects to improve roads, to build irrigation, drinking water, gas and sanitation systems. Taking into account the potential impact of migration on the country's transition capacity, a non-core program on Migration & Development (M&D) has been included in the 2014-17 Swiss Cooperation Strategy (CS) for Moldova. The interventions presented in the current proposal form a comprehensive program covering the main M&D priorities outlined in the CS, in line with all relevant national policy documents, as well as with the EU-Moldova Association Agreement.
To maximize the positive impact of migration on the country's socio-economic development through an improved national and local institutional framework, private sector involvement, and enhanced engagement of the diaspora.
Bureau for Relations with Diaspora (BRD) within the State Chancellery/Prime Minister's Office; Ministry of Labor, Social Protection and Family (MLSPF); National Employment Agency (NEA) and its subordinated regional offices; district and local authorities; private sector partners; relevant NGOs
Final beneficiaries are people from communities aftected by migration, migrants and members of their families, as well as diaspora associations and migrants' networks attracted in designing migration policies and contributing to their practical implementation. The main countries of destination tor Moldovan migrants are: Russia, Itaiy, France, Turkey and Portugal.
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación con Europa del Este
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Otra organización internacional
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 7'011'500 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 5'576'867|
|Fases del proyecto||
(Fase en curso)
Fase 1 15.01.2014 - 31.12.2018 (Completed)