Lugano Summer School
The Lugano Summer School in Public Health Policy, Economics and Management is an international hub for post-graduate short-term training in public health attracting practitioners and academics from around the world, in the spirit of mutual learning. This is one product of the Swiss School of Public Health consortium (SSPH+) portfolio. SDC scholarship support to the LSS facilitates participation to an expanding campus on public health and international recognition of expertise from low and middle-income countries since over 20 years.
Fortalecimiento del sistema sanitario
Atención primaria de salud
- Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
- Swiss School of Public Health consortium (SSPH+). This is a consortium of 12 renowned Swiss academic institutions.
|Contexto||Never like during the Covid-19 pandemic has it become more evident, that achieving universal health coverage and the Sustainable Development goals requires joint efforts, mutual trust and a systemic understanding of global common challenges and opportunities. Guaranteeing comprehensive health and well-being for all is incompatible with standardized imported models and requires building local knowledge, as well as consistent and iterative reality checks and adjustments. While investment into capacity building remains key to achieving strong and resilient health systems, the learning process can no longer afford to be unilateral, featuring Western institutions as lecturers and low- and middle-income countries as the audience. For over 20 years, SDC has financed a scholarship program for health professionals working in SDC health priority countries to facilitate their participation at LSS and, thereby, their access to state-of-the art international knowledge and networking opportunities. The new phase of this engagement will support a mindset shift about peer learning. It will partner with the SSPH+ consortium to expand opportunities for low- and middle-income countries’ scholars and professionals to become part of a growing learning and high quality continuous education platform in global public health, where expertise will be increasingly treated on equal grounds.|
The goal of the project is twofold:
To promote LSS and the Swiss post-graduate capacity building offer as a prestigious, innovative and sustainable prime contributor to global mutual learning on public health matters and to the achievement of the global health goals of the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development (SDG 3).
Direct: participants and facilitators at the LSS coming from an increasingly wide and diverse geographical and professional background.
- The wider international community of scholars, practitioners, partners and investors interested in high-quality Swiss education models
- Swiss representations abroad-
|Efectos a medio plazo||
1. To expand the LSS learning hub and its partnership’s modalities
2. To enable mutual learning and foster exchange among health professionals and scholars beyond the countries of direct Swiss engagement
3. To test the competitiveness of LSS on the international market and identify a sustainable business model for its further development.
4. To promote SSPH+ as a brand of Swiss post-graduate capacity building excellence
5. To reduce the global carbon footprint by developing hybrid innovative learning spaces
· A new fellowship scheme comprising three types of full or partial fellowships will be established and rolled out
· 150 partial or full fellowships will be provided to scholars and professionals of low- and middle-income countries
· New selection criteria for eligible fellows in low- and middle-income countries beyond SDC countries of interest will be elaborated and rolled out
· The set-up of at least on hybrid hub will be tested (tentatively in Ukraine)
· A strategy for crowding in new donors into the fellowship programme in favour of Lparticipants from low- and middle-income countries will be elaborated and rolled out
· An Advisory Board will be created and operationalized as part of the new governance set-up of the project
A virtual platform allowing live socializing among scholars and health professionals will be set up and tested
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
Through the SDC scholarship programme, more than 800 health professionals and scholars from low- and middle-income countries have been enabled over the past 20+ years to acquire new expertise on global public health challenges and ways to address them. This enriched the leverage potential of numerous projects and initiatives in the health sector, and increased chances of local transmission of international know-how among professionals working in health services management at central and subnational level health systems of numerous countries. The digitalization of the LSS 2020 and 2021 editions has allowed for an almost two-fold increase of the courses’ outreach, including hard-to-reach (fragile and conflict-affected) areas, such as refugee camps.
Since 2015, SDC has contributed actively to the thematic content of the Lugano Summer School program, including through the development and delivery of courses on Multisectoral approaches in health, Mental health and Healthcare systems under stress.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Institución académica y de investigación suiza
Geneva Health Forum, various Swiss private foundations, Swiss and international think thanks and research institutions, academia in Switzerland and abroad, selected public institutions in Switzerland and partner countries, Social Marketing Associations, health related global and Swiss professional networks, UNICEF, WHO.
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
Several SDC partners are involved in shaping and delivering courses and plenaries at the LSS.
The LSS hub is increasingly attracting partner academic institutions and non-academic partners from across the world (Australia, Italy, Ukraine, Canada, UK, etc.). Many of them partner with SDC in health-related programmes in their respective countries.
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 1’020’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 200’000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 9 01.01.2022 - 31.12.2025 (Fase en curso) Fase 8 01.05.2017 - 31.12.2021 (Completed) Fase 7 01.05.2013 - 30.04.2017 (Completed) Fase 6 01.05.2010 - 30.04.2013 (Completed)|