«Bai Alai» Small Business and Income Creation in Alai and Chon-Alai
Alai and Chon Alai are two of the poorest regions in Kyrgyzstan. The project aims at increasing economic inclusion of producing households through increased income and employment, with the focus on women and youth. During this exit phase (III) the project capitalizes and disseminates good practices in apiculture and cattle, and continues activities handicraft and tourism value chains, until phasing out in May 2024.
Empleo y desarrollo económico
Agricultura y seguridad alimentaria
Desarrollo de pequeñas y medianas empresas
Servicios agrícolos & mercado
- 3,900 producing farming/entrepreneurs households (total of 19,490 beneficiaries - 1,000 are new beneficiaries), incl. females: 50%; youth: 25% in promoted value chains, in Alai and Chon-Alai districts.
- Local cooperatives and business associations.
- Lead firms, microfinance institutes and advisory service providers.
- Municipal, district, provincial administrations and councils.
- 3,695 producing farming/entrepreneurs households (or 18,490 beneficiaries) increased their income significantly;
- enabled and generated additional sales for USD 5,560,332 or 27% above phase target (USD 4,365,177);
- increased net income of cumulative amount of USD 3,361,336 or 97% above the phase target of USD 1,700,000.
- HELVETAS Swiss Intercooperation
- SDC-(co-)funded Sustainable Economic Development project (implemented by GIZ) on local economic development.
- SECO-funded TAs: -Small Business Initiative (on business advisory services); - Trade Promotion in T&C (on market linkages); and - Winter Tourism Project (on tourism).
|Contexto||Alai and Chon Alai are mountainous and remote districts of Osh province in southwestern Kyrgyzstan, bordering with Tajikistan and China, with a total population of 126,511. Due to harsh climatic conditions coupled with high altitude, living conditions in these regions are difficult. Poverty rate in project areas decreased from 54% in 2017 to 40% in 2021. Main occupation of local population is livestock, crop farming agriculture and tourism. Providing strategic support to local value chains and local market system development is contributing to economic inclusion and to generate sustainable household incomes in the region.|
|Objetivos||Increased economic inclusion of producing households in Alai and Chon-Alai, in particular also of women and youth.|
|Efectos a medio plazo||Building and capitalizing on BAP activities/initiatives, lessons learnt and partnerships from previous phases, in its exit phase, BAP III will enable MSMEs and producers within selected value chains, including women and youth to increase their sales sustainably.|
Resultados de las fases anteriores:
During phase II, Bai Alai Project (BAP):
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización suiza sin fines de lucro
Helvetas Swiss Intercooperation and Aga Khan Foundation (sub-contracted)
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 1’000’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 240’000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 3 01.06.2022 - 31.05.2024 (Fase en curso) Fase 2 01.06.2018 - 31.05.2022 (Completed) Fase 1 01.05.2014 - 31.05.2018 (Completed)|