Swiss Programme for Research on Global Issues for Development - Research Module on Food Security
Achieving food security remains a global challenge. The SDC’s and the Swiss National Science Foundation’s (SNSF) joint r4d Program (Swiss Programme for Research on Global Issues for Development; www.r4d.ch) will promote research and innovation in agricultural and food systems to enhance food security in the context of global sustainable development. Researchers from Switzerland with their partners in Africa, Asia, and Latin America will jointly generate new insights and approaches that contribute to meet the global demand for food in an environmentally and socially sustainable way.
Agriculture et sécurité alimentaire
- Research community in Switzerland and developing countries.
- Relevant stakeholders, which act to cause, facilitate or prevent change in the field of food security at global, regional, and national levels
- Beneficiaries: societies in developing countries; poor, marginalized, vulnerable population groups.
- Research-based, socio-economic, political, and technological scientific contributions to meet the global demand for food in an environmentally and socially sustainable way are identified;
- National and international stakeholders are involved in and informed about trade-offs and options for tackling food security at the global, regional and/or national level, and can make use of new approaches and tools;
- Scientific competencies of researchers in dealing with sustainable agricultural production and innovation systems to improve global food security are enhanced.
- Fonds national suisse de la recherche scientifique
- Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)
One of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals includes the eradication of poverty and hunger and aims at halving the proportion of people suffering from hunger. Despite all efforts, food insecurity remains a serious concern in many parts of the world. The aim to meet the demand for food under a changing global context and in an environmentally and socially sustainable way implies new insight and innovative approaches with respect to food production, processes, distribution and access.
Food security is enhanced through improved and innovative agriculture and conducive policy and regulatory frameworks
|Effets à moyen terme||
Principaux résultats antérieurs:
The first two thematic r4d research modules (social conflicts and employment) as well as the first of three thematically open calls were successfully launched in 2012. The submitted proposals are currently being evaluated. The main evaluation criteria are scientific quality and development relevance.
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Coopération au développement
|Partenaire de projet||
Institution universitaire et de recherche suisse
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 11’900’000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 11’890’000|
|Phases du projet||Phase 5 01.06.2014 - 31.12.2023 (Phase en cours) Phase 4 15.05.2013 - 31.12.2023 (Phase en cours) Phase 3 15.05.2013 - 31.12.2023 (Phase en cours) Phase 2 01.09.2012 - 31.12.2023 (Phase en cours) Phase 1 01.03.2012 - 31.12.2023 (Phase en cours)|