Health for All Programme (HAP)
The Government of Albania is undertaking a reform to increase the quality and efficiency of public health services to respond to the increasing burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs). The project will support the elaboration of a primary health care strategy, health workforce management and quality improvement measures of service delivery for a better management of NCDs at primary health care. The aim is a higher satisfaction of users and a better health status of people covered.
Rafforzamento dei sistemi sanitari
Assistenza sanitaria primaria
- Sub-National State SouthEast
- Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute
- The National health strategy 2016-2020 is being implemented. Assessments (2017/2018) on improving the role of primary care in early detection and management of NCDs have informed discussions on reforms.
- The Ministry of health and social protection (MoHSP) initative on delivering preventive services (health check ups) to increase population’s access is ongoing.
- Decentralisation of governance and accountability arrangements for PHC development is acknowledged as a need and priority by the government.
- The government of Albania (GoA) initiated a health governance reform in 2018 with the aim to improve effectiveness and performance of health care services in Albania. Four regional Health Service Operators (HSO) are created that will need support in order to integrate existing functions. The GoA started the rehabilitation of the 60 primary health care centers, and plans are to complete 240 by 2021 out of 420 centers in the country.
|Obiettivi||The Albanian population benefits from better health thanks to improved primary health care service.|
At the population level up to 60% of Albanian population will benefit from increased access and improved quality care of PHC service.
At the health system level, the primary target group is the MoHSP and related health entities, as the project supports policy development on PHC and human resources for health.
The secondary target groups of the project are academic institutions, 2 regional health service operators and related municipalities, PHC professionals in target regions.
|Effetti a medio termine||
1. MoHSP and its regional entities manage more effectively and efficiently primary health care service.
2. Citizens in target regions have access and use effectively primary health care services of better quality.
Risultati principali attesi:
1.1 Policies and strategies on quality care and health workforce are developed
1.2 Consolidation of health management master and establishment of Master for Family Nurses
1.3 Evidence on health system strengthening available and used
2.1 Quality of service delivery improved through accreditation process
2.2 New service models for home based care outlined, tested and scale up action plan endorsed by MoHSP
2.3 Continuing education courses scaled up and recertification process for health managers embedded in the national system
2.4 Regional health operators capacities strengthened and regional plans developed
Risultati fasi precedenti:
- Quality and utilisation of services has been increased by: improving clinical skills of PHC providers; improving infrastructure and basic equipment (20% of centers covering 27% of population; health promotion activities (30% of population reached).
- Increased use and better access of population of PHC services (in Diber the rate of PHC visits/person/year was 1,6 in 2015 and 1,7 in 2017; in Fier, the same rate was 1.9 in 2015 and 2.2 in 2017). 93% of patients in target regions indicate to be satisfied with PHC services.
- Albanian Demographic and Health Survey 2018 provides reliable data for policy making
- New continuing medical education (Peer review groups) tools introduced and used (75% family physicians and 41% nurses in both regions)
- Professional Master in Health Management established (graduate 30 students each year) National health promotion action plan elaborated and being implemented
Cooperazione con l'Europa dell'Est
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione statale straniera
Instituzione universitaria e di ricerca svizzera
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
Synergies with WHO will be ensured in view of implementation of PHC service reform. A close coordination with World Bank project is important in view of health information system and health financing.
Synergies with the new SDC project on health promotion is assured.
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 6'500'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 3'200'000 Progetto totale dalla prima fase Budget inclusi partner del progetto CHF 20'000'000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.04.2019 - 31.03.2023 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 15.10.2013 - 30.04.2020 (Completed)|