Strengthening the Right to Adequate Food, FIAN International
With 815 million undernourished people in 2017, the right to food as laid in the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights is still not realized. For the past thirty years, FIAN International has raised awareness about people’s right to food worldwide and expanded spaces for civil society to hold governments more accountable. This project will promote effective participation of rights holders in food security and nutrition policies and governance mechanisms and be complemented by SDC support to the mandate of the UN Special rapporteur on the right to food.
Agricoltura e sicurezza alimentare
Diritti dell'uomo (diritti delle donne inclusi)
Partecipazione democratica e società civile
- Revised legal and policy frameworks on food and nutrition security according to CEDAW General Recommendation No. 34.
- Establishment or consolidation of national-level platforms for policy dialogue on the RtFN.
- Reference to RtFN frameworks in the Voluntary National
reviews (VNR) presented in the HLPF in reference to progress on SDG goals 2 and 5.
- Establishment or consolidation of national RtFN monitoring spaces in line with the CFS monitoring process.
- Enhanced use of the People’s Monitoring process and of the Watch in national-level monitoring processes and accountability mechanisms.
- Increased references to the RtFN by regional accountability mechanisms.
- Adoption of a global framework on nutrition that is based on the RtFN.
- Adoption of general comments and recommendations by UN human rights treaty bodies that reflect a holistic interpretation of the RtFN.
- Adoption of versions of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Peasants and the UN Treaty to Regulate Transnational corporations that reflect strong gender equality language and approach.
- Strengthened presence of the SR at the CFS
- Increased promotion of the work of the mandate
- Other OI
|Contesto||Everyone has a human right to adequate food and nutrition. In spite of the comprehensive framework and the numerous international instruments on the right to food, there is still a wide gap in implementation of these standards, a lack of accountability and a lack of policy coherence at national and global levels. This is compounded by the current shrinking space for civil society to claim the right to food and nutrition, with serious consequences such as the increasing criminalization of right holders.|
|Obiettivi||To provide support to the realization of the right to food via two lines of actions – one directed at civil society support (via FIAN) and the other targeting the reinforcement of the mandate of the Special rapporteur on the right to food, in particular her contribution to the decisions of the Committee on World Food Security (CFS).|
|Gruppi target||Peasant, landless, agricultural workers, indigenous peoples, pastoralists, fisherfolks, women and youth.|
|Effetti a medio termine||
Strengthened RtFN legal and policy frameworks in selected countries:
Strengthened RtFN accountability through human rights monitoring at all levels:
Improved policy coherence with the RtFN in global standard setting processes
Special rapporteur on the right to food:
CFS outcomes are influenced with the perspective of the mandate of the Special rapporteur.
The reports of the SR are widely disseminated and media, included social media coverage is enhanced and updated.
Risultati principali attesi:
Special rapporteur on the right to food:
Risultati fasi precedenti: FIAN:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Altre organizzazioni internazionali
Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (ONU)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
Human Rights and Conflicts network
Human Security Division
Global governance project of GPFS
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 2'060'000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1'917'200 Progetto totale dalla prima fase Budget Svizzera CHF 1'800'000 Budget inclusi partner del progetto CHF 3'780'000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 2 01.01.2018 - 31.12.2020 (Fase in corso) Fase 1 05.06.2015 - 31.12.2017 (Completed)|