Contribution to the Multi-Donor Trust Fund of the Africa Disaster Risk Financing Programme ADRiFi
Through a contribution to the ADRiFi programme of the African Development Bank, Switzerland intends to facilitate access to subsidies for the payment of natural disaster insurances for at least an additional 15 African countries. Payouts (up to 5 mio USD per event) from the insurance, managed by the African Risk Capacity Group, will allow governments respond timely and effectively to the needs of their population in case of disaster on the basis of the prepared effective contingency plans.
Canbiamento climatico ed ambiente
Riduzione dei rischi di catastrofi
Gestione delle finanze pubbliche
- Banca africana di sviluppo (other)
|Contesto||African countries are among the most vulnerable to the impacts of natural disasters and are likely to experience severe and frequent extreme weather events caused by accelerating climate change. It is estimated that least-income countries could suffer an average decline of more than 5% in per capita income as a result of a larger natural disasters, not to speak about human losses. Investments in preparedness, planning and risk transfer seem the appropriate solution and could help to save up to four times the amount invested. Switzerland has been supporting since 2012 the insurance scheme created by ARC and considers that the additional funds supplied by the Bank will help the scaling up the programme and increase its impact in the continent. It will strengthen the partnership with the Bank and Swiss visibility. It does also reinforce the Swiss engagement in climate change adaptation, food security and resilience, and in innovative initiatives involving the private sector in line with Swiss priorities in Africa.|
|Obiettivi||ADRiFi's goal is to enhance the countries’ resilience and response to climate shocks by improving the management of natural disaster risk and adaptation to climate change, by strengthening the technical capacity of countries to evaluate climate-related risks and costs and elaborate subsequent mitigation measures and by providing rapidly funds to address climate disasters.|
- African governments
- Parliament members, decision-makers
- Vulnerable population in disaster-prone areas
|Effetti a medio termine||
- Stable participation of countries in the ARC regional risk pool;
- Improved capacity of countries to respond proactively to climate-related catastrophes and provide rapid assistance to the most vulnerable;
- Improved capacity of countries to understand their exposure to the risks of climate-related disasters and their potential impacts on in terms of public finances and livelihoods of the most vulnerable.
Risultati principali attesi:
- 5-7 countries per year receive a subsidy
- 15 countries adher permanently to the ARC programme
- 20 mio people are covered by the insurance and receive support in case of disasters
Risultati fasi precedenti:
Under the ADRiFi programme since 2019 :
- 6 countries (two additional ones until end 2021) applied to subsidies
- 3.7 mio USD were given as a payout to two countries.
|Partner del progetto||
Istituzione finanziaria internazionale
African Development Bank
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||
SDC GPFS and SCO Harare contribute to ARC
FCDO is the co-founder of the MDTF
KfW, IFAD contribute to premium subsidisation to ARC.
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 8’500’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 2’612’500 Progetto totale dalla prima fase Budget Svizzera CHF 8’500’000|