Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Institutionalization of European Energy Award
The “Energy City / European Energy Award” is a certification system for sustainable energy management in municipalities. The implementation of the related controlling process favors the optimal allocation of resources to energy relevant projects. The "European Energy Award" is a good instrument to pursue the objectives of the EU program "Covenant of Mayors" which promotes the 20/20/20 objectives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20%, improve energy efficiency by 20% and increase the share of renewable energy in the energy mix by 20%, at the level of municipalities.
Efficacité énergétique et énergies renouvelables
- Replicate experiences of the 4 pilot cities in managing their energy and climate change policies, using the eea instruments, to other interested Romanian cities.
- Widely support the implementation of SEAPs and the Covenant of Mayors in Romanian municipalities with a complete and accepted instrument.
- Give national ownership to the eea activities by involving a national institution to create the synergies with national specificities, including the legal framework.
- Facilitate networking among active municipalities and find nationwide synergies in implementing activities
- Promote Romanian Energy Cities as front-runners for sustainable development in RO, which may lead to additional support by other programs and initiatives.
- Facilitate international exchange of experience with European cities having an active energy policy.
- Enable partnerships on urbanization and energy issues between Swiss and Romanian Energy Cities.
- Assure capacity building for Romanian consultants and city administrations in terms of sustainable development in energy related issues.
- Management of all eea activities in Romania.
- Installation of an independent certification body and the necessary instruments / documents for the certification and awarding of municipalities with the eea in Romania, in close collaboration with the international Forum eea office in Zurich.
- Accreditation of private consultants/advisors and auditors, based on defined procedures, for the consulting work in municipalities and organize their work.
- Set-up training and exchange of experience programs for the advisors, auditors and city administration staff.
- Production or adaption of implementing instruments (e.g. CO2-balance tools).
- The replication of experiences of the four pilot cities in managing their energy and climate change policies with eea instruments to other interested Romanian cities .
- A wide support to the implementation of SEAPs and the Covenant of Mayors in Romanian municipalities with a complete and accepted instrument.
- The facilitation of networking among active Romanian municipalities, releasing the benefits of nationwide synergies in implementing activities.
- The capacity building for Romanian consultants and city administrations in terms of sustainable development in energy related issues.
- Romanian Ministry of Public Finance and Romanian Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration
Also known as the “European Energy Award”, the label of “Energy City” is awarded to a municipality which stands out for its efforts (and achievements) to use energy in an efficient and as far as possible climate neutral way. Over 1’000 European municipalities participate in the "European Energy Award" program.
Under the Swiss-Romanian Cooperation Programme, the "European Energy Award" (eea) was introduced in four Romanian pilot cities (Arad, Brasov, Cluj-Napoca and Suceava), selected among 21 candidates to develop or verify Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAP) and identify priority infrastructure projects to be supported by the Swiss Contribution.
The direct beneficiary is the Romanian Green Building Council, which has been selected to become the national organisation of Energy Cities in Romania. It gets a contribution of 85% to its operating expenses and to the cost of the necessary support and know-how transfer from the Swiss Association of Energy Cities (Trägerverein Energiestadt) familiar with the build-up and dissemination of eea activities, during a start-up period of 3 years.
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Contribution suisse à l'UE élargie
|Partenaire de projet||
Partenaire de mise en œuvre
National eea institution in Romania (ROEEA) - to be defined; Swiss institution to support ROEEA
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 350'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 193'982|
|Phases du projet||
Phase 10 02.04.2015 - 30.06.2019 (Completed)