Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Arad public lighting with LED
In order to improve road safety and energy efficiency, a part of Arad’s public lighting system is modernized and extended. This includes the illumination of a bicycle road, a pedestrian boardwalk along the Mures River and 70 playgrounds around the City of Arad, as well as the modernization and extension of street lighting systems with LED lamps.
Efficacité énergétique et énergies renouvelables
- The implementation of a public lighting system on Mures dam (1.4 km between Decebal and Trajan bridges) with 90 luminous points (LED 40W) to provide adequate lighting for a bicycle road and a pedestrian boardwalk.
- The installation of lighting systems on 70 playgrounds in Arad with luminous points (LED 40W).
- The modernisation and extension of the street lighting system on the link road between Ovidiu, Tenetchi and Tribunal Corches streets with luminous points (LED 160W), involving the replacement of existing sodium-vapor lamps with LED lamps and the installation of additional new LED lamps.
- The lighting system in West and East Industrial Areas, in Sancicolaul Mic, in Centru and in Dragasani, Functionarilor neighbourhoods are fully equipped with LED lamps, installed and operational.
- In compliance with European standards, 3100 old street lamps have been replaced by energy-efficient LED lamps.
- It is estimated that thanks to Switzerland's support, Arad is able to save CHF 120,000 in energy costs per year and reduce its CO2 emissions by 600 tonnes per year.
- Romanian Ministry of Public Finance and Romanian Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration
Under the Swiss-Romanian Cooperation Programme the European Energy Award is being introduced in four Romanian pilot cities. The European Energy Award is a quality management and certification system for municipalities committed to sustainable municipal energy, climate and transport policies. It is based on the label “Energy City”, which has originally been developed in Switzerland. Arad, a city of 148'000 inhabitants located at the Mures River in the northwest of Romania, is one of four selected pilot cities. Based on its Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP) it has identified the rehabilitation of the district heating network as a priority infrastructure project. The project aims at creating a healthier environment through enhancing public spaces and reducing the emission of climate-damaging gases, as well as at improving the public finances of the city of Arad through reduced expenses on energy and maintenance of the public lighting system.
The goal of the project is to save energy and costs by improving the quality and energy efficiency of the public lighting system in Arad.
The direct beneficiary of the project is the Municipality of Arad, which will save costs and thereby be able to release funds for additional improvements and energy saving measures. Indirect beneficiaries are the 148'000 inhabitants of Arad, in particular families with children, who benefit directly from the increased availability of bicycle roads, boardwalks and playgrounds during evening hours, the improved road safety and security as well as from the improved public finances of the city.
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Contribution suisse à l'UE élargie
|Partenaire de projet||
Partenaire de mise en œuvre
Municipality of Arad
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 2'762'049 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 994'707|
|Phases du projet||
Phase 10 28.05.2015 - 30.06.2019 (Completed)