The aim of this academic workshop is to discuss the relations between Switzerland and the European Union (EU) from various angles: the legal framework of such relations, with focus on the effects of the bilateral sectoral agreements; the prospects of a new institutional framework agreement as an instrument to cement and develop this bilateral approach and, finally, a broader view of the relations Switzerland-EU, which the Swiss State Secretary for European Affairs, H.E. Roberto Balzaretti will touch upon in his keynote address.
Participation is free of charge but registration is required: Registration
11:30-11:40 Introduction by Prof. Inge Govaere (Ghent University)
11:40-12:35 Panel 1: The law and practice of sectoral bilateralism
- Prof. Christa Tobler (University of Basel and University of Leiden)
- Prof. Peter Van Elsuwege (Ghent University)
- Prof. Sieglinde Gstöhl (College of Europe)
12:35-13:30 Panel 2: Towards a new institutional framework agreement?
- Prof. Marc Maresceau (Ghent University)
- Prof. Christine Kaddous (Université de Genève)
- Prof. Andrea Ott (Maastricht University)
13:30 – 14:30 Sandwich lunch
Chair: Professor dr. Michel Tison – Dean of the Law Faculty (Ghent University)
14:30 Keynote Speech by H.E. Roberto Balzaretti (State Secretary for European Affairs, Switzerland)