Note: the texts under all the headings, with the exception of 'Results achieved', describe the situation before the start of the project.
Oral Health Prevention directed to small children
The programme is focused on education, promotion and prevention as regards oral health care directed to small children (0-5), their parents, carers and teachers. It also targets medical personnel dealing with small children – paediatrician, nurses and midwives. The overall goal is to reduce prevalence and incidence of dental caries in children aged 0-5 by promoting appropriate oral hygiene practices and good dietary habits counteracting harmful habits and practices.
Rafforzare la sicurezza sociale
- Awareness, understanding and acceptance of oral health care increased in target groups (131'559 children aged 3-5 received educational and preventive activities delivered by 7603 capacitated nursery staff and educators254'132 parents / carers supported by educational and promotional materials
- 3000 parents carers participated in trainings
- 33% increase of parents/carers of children aged 0-2 covered by educational and preventive activities)
- 3'957 nurseries enrolled for oral health educational activites for small children
- 105'247 children supported by educators at nurseries and provided with toothbrush, toothpaste, information and education materials
- Project website with forum moderated by experts running (674'116 hits), 31'462 informational and promotional posters distributed, 800 TV spots broadcasted
- 2 conferences promoting project results with 235 participant
- National State Institute North
According to a report from 2008, 85.5% of all 6-year old children in Poland suffer from dental caries, having on average ca. five teeth affected (average for Western Europe - one tooth). In addition only 15% of the teeth affected by dental caries are treated, while the corresponding rate for Western Europe is 80%. Additionally the comparison to the WHO objectives for oral health hygiene presents a dramatically poor condition of the oral health of Polish children. Finally, there are considerable discrepancies between the regions in Poland itself – the percentage of children with primary teeth free from caries is ranging from 6% in the Dolnośląskie voivodship to 27.5% in the Opolskie voivodship.
The overall goal is to reduce prevalence and incidence of dental caries in children aged 0-5. The specific objectives are: (i): promotion of appropriate oral hygiene practices and rules of using fluoride-containing products (toothpastes); (ii): promotion of good dietary habits and food texture awareness; (iii): counteracting harmful oral hygiene and dietary habits and practices
Children aged 0-5, their parents and teachers, paediatricians, midwives and nurses, general public
Trainings of paediatricians, nurses, midwives, teachers are going to be organised. 300’000 toothbrushes and toothpaste tubes among children aged 3-5 are going to be distributed. In addition, the preparation of promotional and informational materials seeks to support core activities in order to increase the awareness of population. 30-seconds TV spot promoting the project and its objectives, nationwide press notices, articles in regional press, posters, leaflets and project website are planned.
Contributo svizzero all'allargamento dell'UE
|Partner del progetto||
Instituzione statale straniera
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 5’139’919 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 4’209’939|
|Fasi del progetto||
Fase 1 01.04.2012 - 31.03.2017 (Completed)