You wish to report the birth of a child.

Online desk

There are certain rules governing the granting of Swiss nationality to a child. The following qualify as Swiss at birth (SCA; CC 141.0):

  • the child of a married couple at least one of whom is Swiss.
  • the child of a Swiss woman who is not married to the child’s father.
  • a foreign child in its minority (born after 1 January 2006) whose Swiss father is not married to the foreign mother acquires Swiss nationality as if from birth once paternity has been confirmed.

Birth abroad

Registration in the Swiss civil status register (Infostar) of a birth which has occurred abroad requires submission of the documents listed on this webpage to the Swiss representation competent for the country in which the birth has taken place.

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Birth in Switzerland

In the case of a birth in Switzerland, parents registered with a Swiss representation abroad are under an obligation to report the birth of the child. They must submit the following document (as hard copy or in electronic form) to enable the representation to update its register of the Swiss Abroad:

  • photocopy of the birth certificate of the newborn Swiss infant or of the Swiss family certificate

There is no fee for the registration in question.

Swiss identity documents and foreign residence permit

A regular Swiss identity document can only be issued once the birth of the child has been registered in the Swiss civil status register, or rather once the child’s Swiss nationality has been confirmed. In urgent cases, please contact the competent Swiss representation.

Passport and identity card

Regarding the foreign residence permit for the child, please refer to the competent foreign authority.

Authorisation to enter and take residence in Switzerland for foreign children (family reunification)

For foreign children who are joining their parents residing in Switzerland, please refer to the information on the following webpage:

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

Registration of birth in the UK

In order to register the birth of a child who has one Swiss parent, the following document is required:

  • certified copy of an entry of birth (original document), newly issued (within 6 months). Photocopies or short birth certificates not mentioning the parents' names cannot be accepted.

In order to register the birth of a child of a Swiss mother or father who is not married but where the father or mother has acknowledged the child, the following additional documents have to be presented:

  • full birth certificate of the foreign father or mother, newly issued (within 6 months)
  • if applicable: divorce decree, marriage certificate or death certificate of former spouse of the foreign father or mother, newly issued (within 6 months)
  • copy of the passport of the foreign father or mother
  • completed questionnaire to be obtained from the Regional Consular Centre or downloaded:

    Unmarried Parents Questionnaire (PDF, Number of pages 5, 137.9 kB)  

Please note that children born before 1 January 2006 to a Swiss father not married to the mother did not acquire Swiss citizenship by birth but will have to apply for simplified naturalisation under Article 51 para 2 of the Swiss Citizenship Act.

The documents of civil status will be translated, legalised and forwarded to the Swiss authorities which will retain them.

Non-registered Swiss nationals

Non-registered Swiss nationals wishing to register the birth of their child/children should also provide copies of their Swiss passports or identity cards, together with the non-resident form.

Non-resident form (PDF, 77.5 kB, multilingual: French, German, Italian)

Failure to register children before the age of 25 will lead to the loss of their Swiss citizen­ship.

Delays in the registration of the birth of a child can cause inconvenience in the issuing of Swiss documents.