Contribution to Earth Security
This programme aims at catalysing new financial mechanisms and partnerships, including with the Swiss finance sector, which promote water-related ecosystem services of forests
as a ‘climate solution’ vital to the water cycle and to the benefit of society. While global in scope it will focus low and lower-middle income countries. It will leverage Swiss Know-How across the Federal Administration and contribute to the climate mainstreaming goal of the Dispatch 2021-24.
Water resources conservation
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- Earth Security Partnerships C.I.C.
|Background||The SDC’s Global Water Programme Framework 2021-2024 recognises water is the primary substance through which societies will experience the effects of climate change, by them droughts, floods and rising temperatures. It also recognises that "investors have shown little interest to include water in key long-term investments for climate change adaptation and mitigation”. As the overarching Swiss Development Policy for 2021-2024 also includes a strategic focus on mainstreaming climate change across programmes, there is a need to sharpen the profile of water outcomes as part of the climate and nature agendas, through practical mechanisms that engage the finance sector to contribute to these outcomes.|
|Objectives||To mobilise the finance sector to support transboundary and inter-sectorial approaches to water, through the development of innovative financing mechanisms and partnerships that focus on forests as a ‘nature-based climate solution’ that is vital to the water cycle.|
|Target groups||governments/including at sub-national level of low and lower-middle income countries, regional organizations, private financial sector, NGOs|
1. An understanding of value and innovative finance proposals created: A clear investment case and practical proposals enable financial decision-makers to consider the financing of forests as ‘nature-based climate solution’ that is vital to the water-cycle as an actionable opportunity in their strategies.
2. Public-private finance cooperation catalysed: A new partnership is created with the goal of enabling the financial sector to advance global investments in forests from a water perspective.
3. Knowledge and engagement of finance decision-makers mobilized: Mainstream finance decision-makers and other finance-related stakeholders that are not exposed to these agendas are engaged to understand and support proposals and partnerships.
* Global Analytical Knowledge Products with practical proposals and recommendations informed by stakeholder engagement from government, private sector, NGOs and experts
* A public-private financing partnership at country (Y2) and at global (Y3) levels, including one country partnership case study to be used for wide dissemination, capacity building and informing replication across other countries (Y2)
Results from previous phases:
During the previous phase it became clear that an effective ‘entry point’ for private sector to help scale solutions is focusing on ‘nature-based climate solutions’ (NBS):
* This is strategically relevant to basin-wide water solutions that are holistic in terms of the protection of the water source, and transboundary and trans-sectorial opportunities for water management, anchored within an agenda of climate change that is seen as a top priority for private and financial sector actors.
* This focus on NBS can enable SDC to a) position water more strategically in the climate agenda with the private sector; b) operationalize a systemic lens needed to address water issues, including climate, food, ecological systems and communities, and c) contribute to the climate mainstreaming goal of the new Dispatch on International Cooperation approved by the Swiss Parliament for 2021 – 2024, and in consequence enable to co-create new sustainable financing pathways and collaborations.
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
International or foreign NGO
|Coordination with other projects and actors||Multilateral Financial Institutions/Development Finance Institutions, United Nations Capital Development Fund, UBS Optimus Foundation, HSBC Sustainable Finance Centre, NGOs, UN-REDD+, International Union for the Conservation of Nature, Climate Disclosure Project, Blue Peace Initiative|
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 1’750’000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 337’929|
|Project phases||Phase 99 01.09.2018 - 31.03.2024 (Current phase) Phase 3 01.10.2021 - 31.03.2025 (Current phase) Phase 2 01.10.2018 - 30.09.2021 (Completed) Phase 1 01.05.2014 - 30.09.2018 (Completed)|