Africa-Europe Diaspora Development Platform (ADEPT)
Africa and Europe are intrinsically linked with respect to migration. Swiss support to the pioneering Africa-Europe Diaspora Development Platform (ADEPT) contributes to strengthening the capacities of African Diaspora Development Organisations based in Europe, including in Switzerland, to promote sustained development in Africa. As ADEPT and its members are active throughout the African continent, a support to the platform allows an outreach in Africa with a relatively limited financial investment.
Diaspora for development
Migration generally (development aspects and partnerships)
- African Diaspora Development Organisations based in Europe
- National governments and regional bodies in Africa and Europe
- Social and commercial enterprises in Africa and Europe
- International and regional agencies and institutions involved in development policy and practice
To expand and enhance the involvement and performance of ADDOs in development action.
To strengthen ADEPT as a permanent platform, led and managed by the African diaspora, as effective agents and actors in the development of countries of origin and heritage.
- ADEPT has been established as an independent functioning platform (registered as Association Internationale Sans But Lucratif) .
- ADEPT plays a recognised leadership role in global migration, diaspora and development policy and practice. ADEPT is recognized as a partner by European and African governments as well as international and regional organization and has been invited to represent the voice of the migrants in policy discussion.
- ADEPT is an established service provider for ADDOs which offers 14 practical services, such as Newsletter; Webinars; Training; Diaspora Fellowships; Capacity Development Support (CDS); Diaspora Technical Support (DTS) for partners in Africa; Pool of Diaspora Consultants; Diaspora Development Dialogues (DDDs).
- ADEPT has become a strong convener for diaspora through ten Diaspora Development Dialogues (DDD) organized throughout the years and hosted by African and European States.
- ADEPT provides technical expertise through a pool of consultants comprising mainly of African experts based in the diaspora. This technical support capacity addresses a challenge in the sector, whereby diaspora experts are hardly ever hired to lead consultancy assignments on African development.
- Other international or foreign NGO North
- ADEPT is registered as Association internationale sans but lucratif in Belgium on 22 December 2016
- IMZ working group on Diaspora, chaired by GPMD
- GPMD’s support to the Migration and development Platform in Switzerland (7F-09220)
- GPMD’s engagement at the regional and national level in West Africa (7F-08339) and the Horn of Africa (7F-09083)
- GPMD engagement at the global level (GFMD,GCM, HLPF, etc.)
|Background||Africa and Europe are intrinsically linked with respect to migration and more specifically migration and development. African migrants and diaspora in Europe have found various ways and forums to express their ideas on how to improve the format and content of development work in their countries of origin, despite many challenges. However, a major barrier and inhibitor to diaspora-development action and effectiveness is the lack of a coherent, structured and permanent coordination amongst African Diaspora Development Organisations based in Europe (ADDOs), countries of origin, and development partners. Thanks to the strategic support of Switzerland and the EU, ADEPT has been established as permanent Europe-wide capacity development and policy engagement platform on diaspora-development. This platform facilitates coordination between ADDOs and policymakers and contributes to enhanced development performance of ADDO. By supporting ADDOs across Europe and working at the policy level with countries across Africa and Europe, ADEPT has played a pioneering, facilitative and enabling role in the sphere of diaspora for development. Diaspora issues are an integral part of the migration dialogues held between Switzerland and its partner countries. Supporting countries of origin of migrants in harnessing the benefits of migration for development through its diaspora enhances the reliability of Switzerland as a trusted partner with a comprehensive approach to migration.|
Women and men on the African continent benefit from the know-how and investments of their Diaspora, enabled and facilitated by ADEPT.
Impact Hypothesis: ADEPT as a strengthened permanent platform expands and enhances the development performance of African Diaspora Development Organisations (ADDOs) by professionalising these organisations and their operational activities; facilitating effective partnerships in Europe and Africa; increasing the quantity and quality of ADDOs' development activities in Africa; and positively influencing the policy and practice of global development cooperation. An enhanced performance of ADDOs is expected to have an effect on the volume and quality of financial and socio-economic investments and remittances to Africa. This in turn will positively affect enterprise development and employment generation in Africa, as well as developments in different sectors (health, education, agriculture etc.), thereby contributing to the achievement of aspects of the UN Global Compact for Migration, the UN Agenda 2030, and the AU Agenda 2063.
The ultimate beneficiaries of the program are African countries of origin, individuals and communities benefitting from the development impact through cooperation with their diasporas in Europe.
The direct beneficiaries are
For outcome 1:
1.1. The development capabilities of beneficiaries are enhanced through increased knowledge, skills, competencies and resources;
1.2. The involvement of beneficiaries in development policy and practice is enhanced through increased participation in national, regional and global development dialogues and processes.
For outcome 2:
2.1. ADEPT has strengthened its sustainability through regulatory and established internal governance
2.2. The engagement with the African diaspora and other stakeholders is enhanced through improved interactive and communication activities;
2.3. The continued relevance and viability of ADEPT as a permanent platform is pursued through development of pilot, prospective and special projects and programmes.
Results from previous phases:
For the first time ever, there is a structured engagement framework on diaspora-development at Europe-wide level:
|Directorate/federal office responsible||
|Coordination with other projects and actors||
|Budget||Current phase Swiss budget CHF 1'850'000 Swiss disbursement to date CHF 605'000|
|Project phases||Phase 4 01.12.2018 - 31.12.2021 (Current phase) Phase 3 15.07.2014 - 30.11.2018 (Completed) Phase 2 01.01.2011 - 31.12.2014 (Completed)|