Towards Transparent, Inclusive and Accountable Governance in the Republic of Macedonia
The project aims at increasing gender equality in Macedonia and the quality of life for women and vulnerable groups by 1) systematically integrating a gender perspective in public policies and budgets which leads to the allocation of more funds for greater gender equality in strategies and policies; 2) empowering women and vulnerable groups to advocate for their needs in municipal planning and budgeting; and 3) supporting CSOs and Members of Parliament in overseeing the implementation of gender responsive policies and initiatives.
Macedonia del Norte
Organizaciones para la igualdad de la mujer
Política del sector público
- United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDE GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
Sub-Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDEWomen's equality organisations and institutions
Política de administración y gestión del sector público
Descentralización / gobernanza local / democratización / rendición de cuentas
Tipo de ayuda Contribución a proyectos y programas
Número de proyecto
As signatory of CEDAW, the UN Beijing Platform for Action (BPfA), and as an EU accession country, the Republic of Macedonia has committed to achieving de jure and de facto gender equality, and ensuring full development and advancement of women.
However recent data show that gender inequalities still persist in all aspects of life in the country. Women and girls continue to face structural barriers, intimate partner violence, deeply entrenched discriminatory social norms and stereotypes that deny or restrict their social, economic, political and reproductive rights. Women in Macedonia make up some of 60,6% of the economically inactive and at 40% women are underrepresented among the employed. Gender pay gap is between 18-19%. These inequalities and their link with the root causes for social exclusion have to be addressed systematically, long-term and with consistency. New legal and policy obligations require for central and local governments to incorporate the principle of equal opportunities of women and men in the strategic plans and budgets. The Government has stated readiness to increase transparency, accountability and public finance management reform to apply gender responsive budgeting as model budgeting. To reach this the Government needs guidance and support.
|Objetivos||Improved women’s lives and increased inclusion of the most vulnerable groups through effective, systematic and sustainable integration of gender equality at all stages of national and local policy-making and budgeting processes.|
- Budget and finance unit in the Ministry of Finance
- Civil servants and elected officials in select line ministries and local self-government units
- 30+ Municipal Committees for: Financing, Budget and Local Economic Development, Equal Opportunities
- MPs and municipal councillors
- Women and socially excluded
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Outcome 1: The Government effectively integrates gender equality priorities in Public Finance Management and at all levels of policy and strategic planning.
Outcome 2: Women, including the most vulnerable, actively participate in planning and decision-making processes, and their needs and priorities are fully reflected in public policies and budgets.
- Ministry of Finance is capacitated to introduce gender perspective in the programme budgeting, as part of the Public Finance Management Reform
- MPs are trained to monitor GRB processes.
- Women, including the most vulnerable groups, are empowered to voice their needs and participate in planning and budgeting processes.
- Local governments are able to apply GRB tools in the overall policy and budgetary processes.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación con Europa del Este
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
Organización de las Naciones Unidas (ONU)
- UN Women
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||
- Empowering Municipal Councils project
- Parliamentary Institute project
- Jobs for All project
- Ministry of Finance
- Ministry of Labor and Social Policy
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 2’000’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 1’961’922|
|Fases del proyecto||
Fase 1 15.07.2018 - 31.03.2023 (Completed)