Support to Electoral Reforms in Macedonia
The project aims toward more inclusive and democratic election processes managed by a strengthened election administration, closely monitored by citizens. A three-fold strategic approach has been designed to: 1. Build the capacities of the election administration; 2. Support more citizen oriented policies and party programmes through policy dialogue with political actors and 3. Ern power the citizens with knowledge and skills to hold parties accountable and to make their interests and demands heard.
Macedonia del Norte
- The three-level election administration, comprising of SEC1, 80 MECs2 and the commission of the City of Skopje, and around 3,500 EBs3 are the direct target group impacted by the project through training, coaching and implementation of policies.
- The political parties will also be at the receiving end of the project.
- Not only the target groups, but also beneficiaries are the voters, citizens of North Macedonia, with a special focus on youth, women, and persons with disabilities who will benefit from increased inclusiveness of political and electoral processes, and greater awareness about their needs.
- SEC implements strengthened innovative systems and tools for election management.
- Officials at central level administering key election processes acquire greater practical knowledge and skills.
- Political party policies are informed by improved party research, analytical and legal drafting skills.
- Political parties increase outreach to local communities, including vulnerable groups to advance policy solutions.
- Profile demographic reports are developed for more effective civic education.
- Active citizens and civil society are mobilized to promote civic education, inclusion, monitoring and advocacy in local communities.
- Other international or foreign NGO North
Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDE GOBIERNO Y SOCIEDAD CIVIL
Sub-Sector según clasificación del comité de ayuda al desarrollo de la OCDEProcesos electorales
Temas transversales Prevención de conflictos
El proyecto apoya también mejoras en la organización contraparte
Tipo de ayuda Mandato con fondos fiduciarios
Número de proyecto
|Contexto||The Republic of North Macedonia has had a problematic and disappointing record of conduct of elections with significant levels of ballot tampering and stuffing, voter intimidation, and poor administrative procedures. In addition the political parties are centralized, male-dominated and decision-making is neither transparent nor participatory. They have continued to dominate the political and social life and have crowded out opportunities for civil society/citizens to influence reform. Furthermore the professionalism of the overall election administration needs to improve their conduct of electoral tasks and responsibilities. This has been noted by the international community which is seeking that North Macedonia undertakes urgent electoral reform.|
|Objetivos||Democratic and credible election processes that facilitate political participation and social integration by enabling voters to select their representatives and hold them accountable.|
|Efectos a medio plazo||
Outcome 1: Strengthened institutions conduct fair and efficient election processes.
Outcome 2: lnternally democratized political parties present citizen-oriented policies and election programs.
Outcome 3: Empowered citizens hold political parties and elected officials accountable.
Resultados de las fases anteriores: Since 2008, Switzerland has been regularly supporting election monitoring and other related activities successfully assisting national election monitoring. However this support has been implemented through short term support to CSOs during election cycles and has never involved consistent support to the institutions that organize elections. During the Entry Phase, preparatory consultations/workshops and policy dialogue with the key stakeholders, have been conducted. The key stakeholders confirmed their interest in the project which will answer to their demand in the following areas: a. the political parties need to be internally democratized; b. the administration has to build the capacity for proper and professional implementation of elections; c. citizens need to be empowered to hold political parties and elected officials accountable.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable||
Cooperación con Europa del Este
|Contrapartes del proyecto||
Contraparte del contrato
ONG internacional o extranjera
Contraparte de la implémentación
International Foundation on Electoral Systems (IFES) is the main contractor responsible for the overall implementation of the programme. National Youth Council of Macedonia (NYCM) is sub-contractor of IFES.
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores||The Electoral Reforms in North Macedonia programme will seek synergies primarily with the Civil Society Support Facility (Civica Mobilitas) programme, Parliament's Support Project (PSP}, as weil as with Empowering Municipal Councils.|
|Presupuesto||Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 5’968’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 4’695’526 Total del proyecto desde la primera fase Presupuesto inclusive contrapartes del proyecto CHF 12’150’000|
|Fases del proyecto||Fase 1 01.01.2018 - 31.12.2023 (Fase en curso)|