Contribution to UNRWA's Programme Budget 2023-2024
UNRWA is one of Switzerland’s key multilateral partners in the Middle East, due to its important contributions towards stability and peace in the region and its role in providing services and humanitarian assistance to people in need. Under its Programme Budget, UNRWA ensures universal access to quality primary health care and to basic education to 5.8 million registered Palestine refugees. It also provides targeted relief and social services to vulnerable refugees.
Assistenza umanitaria & RRC
Assistenza sanitaria primaria
- Agenzia delle Nazioni Unite per il soccorso e l'occupazione dei profughi palestinesi nel Vicino Oriente
Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSE ISTRUZIONE
Sotto-Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSEIstruzione primaria
Infrastruttura per i servizi sanitari di base
Assistenza materiale e servizi d'emergenza
Temi trasversali Prevenzione delle crisi
Il progetto sostiene anche miglioramenti nell'organizzazione partner
Tipo di aiuto Contributo generale
Numero del progetto
UNRWA was established in 1949 with a temporary mandate by UN General Assembly to respond to the needs of Palestine refugees in Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and the occupied Palestinian territory, until a durable and just solution is found to their plight.
UNRWA is a priority multilateral organization according to the Strategy on International Cooperation 20212024 (IC Strategy) as well as in the MENA-Strategy 2021-2024. Its mandate is in line with objectives A, C and D of the IC Strategy as well as the priority areas of the Cooperation Programme for the Near East 2021-2024.
- Palestine refugees are protected through the realization of their rights under international law, lead healthy lives, complete inclusive and equitable quality education. (Objective 1, 2, 3 Strategic Plan);
- Palestine refugees have increased livelihood opportunities. (Objective 4 Strategic Plan);
- UNRWA’s mandate is implemented effectively and responsibly. (Objective 7 Strategic Plan).
|Effetti a medio termine||
- Switzerland engages with UNRWA to strengthen its quality of services, through integrated Protection across its programming as well as delivering innovative and cutting edge vocational training for better job opportunities for Palestine youth;
- Switzerland continues to engage with UNRWA to ensure management reforms (i.e. improved oversight and accountability and recruitment processes, internal communication for improved transparency) remain prioritised and well implemented.
Risultati fasi precedenti:
- Medical services provided to 3.1 Mio refugees per year. The health reform and increased use of e-health potential has improved quality of care, efficiency and cost effectiveness;
- 540,000 students attended 710 schools. The education reform has improved learning and drop-out rates;
- 390’000 refugees were supported by a social safety net (food and cash/e vouchers). Emergency assistance has reached 1.3 million conflictaffected refugees;
- Protection assistance extended across all fields of UNRWA operation with a notable emphasis on advocacy and the mainstreaming of protection standards within service delivery;
- Management reforms were implemented to increase transparency and accountability, notably the creation of an Ombudsman function and strengthening of the Division of Internal Oversight Services;
- Switzerland identified and supported key management initiatives, such as strengthening of internal oversight, setting up of the Ombudsman function and enhanced transparency of procurement processes;
- Switzerland’s financial (complemented by support through human resources) contributed to enabling internal reforms in programmes (for example strengthening of the Protection division) and supporting catalytic initiatives in Vocational Training.
|Partner del progetto||
Organizzazione delle Nazioni Unite (ONU)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||Switzerland actively seeks and facilitates coordination with donors and host countries. As an active member of the AdCom and SubCom, Switzerland exerts influence in particular on reform processes.|
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 42’200’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 20’000’000|
|Fasi del progetto||Fase 48 01.01.2023 - 31.12.2024 (Fase in corso) Fase 46 01.01.2017 - 31.12.2020 (Active) Fase 45 01.01.2016 - 31.01.2017 (Active) Fase 44 01.01.2014 - 31.12.2015 (Active)|