Communications Manager (100%)
Starting date: ideally 1 July 2022
The Permanent Mission of Switzerland to the United Nations in New York is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of communications manager as of 1 July 2022. This is a locally recruited position. You will be working within the communications team and cooperate closely with the mission management, the peace and security team as well as the legal team and the sustainable development and humanitarian affairs team. You will be in charge of various communication and speech writing tasks arising in the context of Switzerland's term on the United Nations Security Council (2023-2024), should Switzerland be elected.
Our ideal candidate is an outgoing, proactive, eloquent individual with an excellent command of French and English as a working language, both orally and in writing, and of high linguistic precision. He or she is very familiar with diplomatic language, tone and finesse. Ideally, our candidate has already gained experience in journalism and /or in international diplomacy, is an expert in political communication and political messaging with in-depth knowledge of the United Nations system, or has been working for one of the permanent or observer missions at the United Nations. He or she has also a solid knowledge of the Swiss political system and Swiss foreign policy.
Duties and responsibilities:
- In support of the head of mission and communications team, managing the coherent and professional communication of the Swiss mission in matters related to the work of the United Nations Security Council, of other organs and entities, and to Swiss foreign policy
- Drafting of speeches, official statements and communication products of the mission. Official statements are, as a rule, written and delivered in French
- Proactive advice, support and preparation of the head of mission and head of communications when interacting with the media (Press, TV, Radio) and with other New York based permanent representations and stakeholders on Security Council and U.N.-related matters
- Performance of various communication tasks
- Academic credentials and a minimum of three years professional experience in a communications and/or policy advisor position
- Experience and/or training as a journalist is an advantage
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in diplomatic language and U.N. jargon
- Strong ability to understand the subtleties of political language and operating in a sensitive political context
- Solid knowledge of the Swiss political system and Swiss foreign policy.
- Accuracy and diligence when drafting and presenting, even under time pressure.
- Ideally a native French speaker. An excellent command of English as a working language is essential, as well as a good knowledge or very good passive language skills of German.
- Strong social skills, resilience and an excellent ability to develop networks fast.
- High stress resistance and a readiness to work outside office hours when necessary.
- A once in a lifetime chance to expand the professional profile in political communication and insights into diplomatic work during a security council term
- Dynamic, highly stimulating atmosphere in a multilingual setting
- Diversified work in a foreign representation and diplomatic environment
- Office conveniently located in midtown Manhattan
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- 401k plan with matching employer contribution
- Paid vacation, American and some Swiss holidays
Please send your resume, a letter of interest and salary expectations no later than 21 May 2022 in electronic format (word or pdf) to email@example.com. Please write in the subject line “Communications manager” to ensure timely processing of your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please do not contact the Permanent Mission of Switzerland. Only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.