Since the beginning of the crisis, the Swiss Mission informs the permanent missions and the international organisations about the decisions of the Swiss authorities that have an impact on their operations and the daily lives of their staff members. This page offers a summary of the information and is regularly updated.
The Swiss Federal Council has decided on various measures to limit the spread of the coronavirus and protect the population. In accordance with the Ordinance on Measures during the Special Situation to combat the COVID-19 Epidemic, Swiss cantons may take stricter or additional measures to those of the Swiss Federal Council. The federal and cantonal measures in force are listed in a summary table (status as at 18.01.2021).
The Swiss authorities ensure that measures are continuously adapted and proportionate to the reality of the global health crisis, in order to protect the entire resident population, including the international community. Permanent missions and international organisations, regardless of their status, must respect the legislation of the Host Country. In view of the health situation, they and their staff members are expected to comply with the defined rules and protective measures.
Due to the epidemiological situation, entry into Switzerland has been subject to country-specific restrictions since July 2020, depending on the nationality and origin of the traveler (see information note). In addition, from 8 February 2021, the health measures governing entry into Switzerland were supplemented (collection of contact details, PCR test and maintenance of quarantine for travellers from States and areas with a high risk of coronavirus infection) (see information note).
For any additional or specific questions, permanent missions and international organisations are invited to write to the e-mail address dedicated to coronavirus: email@example.com
Federal Office of Public Health - FOPH
- Coronavirus (main page)
- Coronavirus: Mandatory quarantine for persons arriving in Switzerland
State Secretariat for Migration - SEM
- Entry restrictions for high-risk countries
- Corona: Questions and answers on entry and stay in Switzerland, the exceptions and suspension of visas
Federal legal basis:
- Ordinance 3 on Measures to Combat the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Ordinance on Measures to Combat the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in International Passenger Transport
- Ordinance on Measures during the Special Situation to combat the COVID-19 Epidemic
- Ordinance on the Control of Communicable Human Diseases (fr)