Do I need a national visa?

My nationality Obligation to hold a visa (yes/no)
Japan  no 

For Japanese citizens – Stay for more than 90 days consecutive

Japanese citizens do not need any visa to enter Switzerland due to the treaty of Establishment and Commerce concluded between Switzerland and Japan (only available in German, French and Italian).

However, you will need to apply for an “Assurance of authorization of staying permit” directly with the competent Office of Migration of the Canton of your future place of domicile before you enter Switzerland.

If you are married to Swiss citizens, the procedures for obtaining a staying permit should be started after you enter Switzerland. Even so, the Embassy is recommending you, to contact the competent Office of Migration of the Canton to get detailed information before you leave for Switzerland.

Some cantons inform about necessary documents on their website where the application form can be downloaded.

Office of Migration of the Canton

Study in Switzerland:

The future University in Switzerland has to submit the application for the assurance of a residence permit, to take up studies, directly with the Office of Migration of the Canton of the future study place in Switzerland. The Embassy is not involved in this process.

Other nationalities

For other nationalities, please refer to the list on the webpage of the State Secretariat for Migration (SEM).

SEM – Overview of ID and visa provisions according to the nationality (Annex 1, List 1: nationality)

If you are obliged to hold a visa, please submit your application in duplicate and refer to the information on the webpage:

Where to apply for a national visa?

If you are not obliged to hold a visa, you are allowed to enter Switzerland without visa. However you are obliged to register within 14 days on arrival in Switzerland at the competent cantonal authority of your place of residence.