1. Swiss Economic Presence in the Philippines
- Around 60 companies with varying degrees of Swiss equity, employing more than 12,000 people are present in the country. In addition, there are a number of family-owned enterprises running small resorts and diving schools scattered around the archipelago.
- 25% of Swiss companies belong to the industrial sector, while 75% are in the service sector.
- Over a hundred years after it first started operations in the country, Nestlé Philippines, Inc. (NPI) today, is a robust and stable organization, proud of its role in bringing the best food and beverage throughout the stages of the Filipino consumers' lives. Nestlé Philippines employes 3'700 men and women all over the country and currently has 5 manufacturing facilities here.
- Holcim Philippines, Inc. is the leading cement manufacturer in the country. With a workforce of over 1'600, it has cement plants in La Union, Bulacan, Davao and Lugait in Misamis Oriental. Together these plants have an annual capacity of more than 6 million metric tons of clinker and 7.7 million tons of cement.
- SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS Philippines, Inc. is the Philippines commercial affiliate of the SGS Group with more than 400 executives, inspectors, auditors and technicians providing risk management and quality assurance assistance to both Philippine businesses and multinational corporations in the following sectors: Agriculture and Food, Automotive, Chemical, Construction, Consumer Goods and Retail, Energy, Finance, Industrial Manufacturing, Life Science, Logistics, Mining, Oil and Gas, Public Sector, Environment, Health and Safety, Risk Management, Sustainability, Trade and Training. SGS in the Philippines also provides back office (Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and Information Technology (IT) enabled services) support for the global SGS network through the SGS Gulf Limited - Regional Operating Headquartes (ROHQ), based in Makati City, with more than 600 technical staff.
- Established in 1887, DKSH Philippines, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidary of the DKSH Group. As a leading Market Expansion Services and customized solutions provider, the company, with over 250 employees, sources, develops, markets and distributes a wide range of specialty chemicals, ingredients, processed raw materials, blends and finished products to key industries in the Philippines, other parts of Asia and the world. Through their Business Unit Technology, they serve private companies as well as institutions and government agencies in the fields of analytical instrumentation and life science.
- Other major Swiss companies are ABB, Bühler, Glencore Xstrata, Novartis and Roche.
- According to the Swiss National Bank, total capital stock of Swiss firms in the Philippines as of end 2011 amounted to CHF 2.18 billion.
- The CEOs of all major Swiss companies in the Philippines are non-Swiss nationals, three of them Filipino women (DKSH, SGS and Roche).
- With regard to Corporate Social Responsibility, the Swiss multinational companies maintain high standards and belong to the group of so-called large taxpayers.
2. The Philippine-Swiss Business Council (PSBC)
- The Philippine-Swiss Business Council or PSBC, established in late 2003, to date has around 60 corporate members, both Swiss and local enterprises.
- It is currently run by a Board of Directors, headed by Mr. Luis Mendez, President of Komodo Furniture and operates under the auspices of the long-established Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI). PCCI serves as Secretariat of the PSBC.
- On August 10, 2006 a MoU on closer cooperation between the PSBC and the Zürich-based Swiss Asian Chamber of Commerce (SACC) was signed. Since then, a few business missions have been fielded by SACC to the Philippines in cooperation with the PSBC, the latest one being in November 2014.
3. The Swiss Embassy Commercial Section
- We help Swiss Companies do business in the Philippines.
- We are a door-opener for Swiss companies wanting to sell their exports to the Philippines, find local partners or set up a company.
- Our unique selling proposition to Swiss firms is our vast network of qualified contacts, made more accessible given the Embassy’s diplomatic standing and representation. These contacts include importers, distributors, potential buyers, manufacturers, legal and finance experts, agents, market consultants, leading business chambers and various Philippine Government offices. We have a contact knowledgeable with your technology and target market in most sectors. If we do not have the existing contact, we can find it for you.
- We have up to date market information, and can refer you to our outsource expert-partners for additional market research.
- We can advise you on how to cut your cost of doing business.
- We can help you with the resolution of business challenges and provide trouble shooting assistance.
- We are your local know-how.