Please refer to the French or German page for country-specific information.

The death of a Swiss citizen, of their spouse or of their registered partner must be reported to the Swiss representation abroad so that the data in the various Swiss registers can be updated.

In the case of a death abroad, the foreign authorities do not automatically forward the death certificate to the Swiss representation. You therefore need to submit the required documents to your Swiss representation. The civil status authority in Switzerland is in charge of entering the information on the death in its register.

The death of someone entered in the Register of the Swiss Abroad in Switzerland must also be reported to the Swiss representation.