Entry to Switzerland and residence for nationals of EU and EFTA member states

You may enter Swiss territory without a visa if you are a citizen of the European Union (EU) or the European Free Trade Association (EFTA) and in possession of a valid recognised identity document.

For a stay over 90 days you will require an authorisation from the migration authority of the canton concerned. An application for authorisation accompanied by the relevant documents should be submitted to the said cantonal authority. Within 14 days after the arrival in Switzerland and before starting an employment, citizens of EU-25/EFTA have to announce themselves at the municipality of the place of residence and apply for residency permit.

SEM – State Secretariat for Migration

SEM – List of cantonal immigration and labour authorities

SEM – Nationality Overview of ID and visa provisions according to nationality