Social services for Swiss citizens abroad

You are a Swiss citizen, without residency in Switzerland and are registered in the register for Swiss citizens abroad. You now find yourself in financial difficulties which you are unable to manage with your own resources. The Swiss representation responsible for your place of residence abroad can advise and help you to find a solution. It can also help Swiss nationals who are temporary abroad. Do not hesitate to contact your responsible Swiss representation.

The Federal Constitution of the Swiss Confederation (SR 101) stipulates in Article 6 that “All individuals shall take responsibility for themselves and shall, according to their abilities, contribute to achieving the tasks of the state and society.”

The Federal Act on Swiss Citizens and institutions abroad (SR 195.1 Article 24) stipulates that social assistance is provided only to Swiss citizens abroad who are unable to support themselves either with their own resources, through assistance of a private nature or with the help of the country of domicile.

If you have exhausted all the resources available to you (including from family or friends, or the country of domicile) you may apply for social assistance from Switzerland through the Swiss representation responsible for your place of domicile abroad.

Swiss representations work closely with the Section for Social services for Swiss citizens abroad (SSA).  It is this unit that decides on all requests for social assistance by Swiss citizens abroad.

You will find more information on social assistance for Swiss citizens abroad on the SAS webpage.