The consular district of the Swiss Embassy in Nairobi includes the countries of Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Somalia and Uganda. The Consular Affairs Division acts as a link between the Swiss residing in the Embassy's consular district and their home country: it registers newly-arrived Swiss citizens, issues passports and other documents of identification and provides assistance to Swiss tourists in need.
We deal with the following areas for Swiss citizen in particular:
- Registration of Swiss nationals residing abroad and military service checks
- Issuing passports and ID cards
- Translation/certification of registry office records for entry into the family register of the home canton
- Nationality issues; processing applications for naturalization under the simplified procedure
- Exercising political rights
- Welfare services for Swiss nationals residing abroad
- Confirmations, certifications, translations of signatures/documents where a Swiss interest exists
- Consular protection: assistance with lost passports, repatriations, support and assistance in the event of arrest, accident or other emergency
Furthermore, the Division issues visas for residents of Kenya, Somalia and Uganda (holders of ordinary passports and official passports from third countries) travelling to Switzerland.
Citizens of Uganda holding a diplomatic or service passport can apply at the Embassy of Germany in Kampala.