Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland


On 18 March 2020, the Swiss Federal Council decided, that entry at the Schengen external borders is generally prohibited (with only few exceptions). This means, if you are holding a Schengen visa, you are not allowed to enter Switzerland. If you are holding a valid Swiss National visa type D, you are still allowed to enter.

Until 15 June 2020, Switzerland will no longer issue Schengen visa type C. National visa type D will only be issued if an authorization has been delivered by the cantonal immigration authorities. The Visa Section of the Regional Consular Center Bangkok remains therefore closed until 15 June 2020.

For additional information, please consult the webpage of the State Secretariat for Migration SEM.

Kindly consult the webpage of the Embassy of Switzerland, where changes and updates of the above mentioned will be published.

Various regulations apply for entering Switzerland. A basic distinction is made between citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and those of other countries. The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the responsible authority in Switzerland.


Since Switzerland’s adherence to the Schengen and Dublin agreements came into force (12 December 2008), Swiss representations abroad are able to issue certain categories of visa, depending on the length of stay and purpose of the journey in Switzerland. Please select one of the following options.

Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period: for example, in a context of tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, participating in a conference or in sporting/cultural events, etc.

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a stay of more than 90 days within a 180-day period. It is subject to the authorisation of the cantonal migration authority competent for the intended place of residence. For example: long-term student, family reunification, marriage in Switzerland, etc.

Airport transit visa

For citizens of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport and do not enter the Schengen territory.

Labour / Work permits

Admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland is subject to the authorisation of the competent cantonal authority. The entry visa is granted only when the requested authorisations have been delivered.