South Sudan, Caritas Switzerland: Restoration of resilience in livelihoods for rural and semi-urban communities in Torit State
This project is designed to increase the resilience of women, men and children in Torit State in South Sudan. This will be achieved through improving agricultural production and access to value chains for farmers and small scale businesses. In order to improve productivity and reduce water-related diseases, the project will improve access to water. This will ultimately reduce vulnerability to the threat of food & nutrition insecurity, and bring the target population to engage in increased productivity with financial benefit.
Sudan del Sud
Agricoltura e sicurezza alimentare
Servizi agricoli & mercato
Risorse idriche in agricoltura
Cooperative agricole & organizzazioni di produttori agricoli
- 2’500 farmers/kitchen gardeners and around 5’000 schoolchildren are less affected by malnutrition thanks to improved livelihoods and food security
- 2’500 farmers/kitchen gardeners (same beneficiaries as in outcome number 1) and 150 vulnerable households improve their economic security through diversified income and better access to markets
- Around 6’000 households and 5’000 schoolchildren (same beneficiaries as in outcome number 1) have improved health thanks to access to safe drinking water and better hygiene.
- 2,500 farmers & 5,000 schoolchildren have improved farming techniques, including post-harvest management, creation of vegetable gardens for households & schools and 6,000 households have improved access to water for consumption & production.
- 2,500 farmers & 150 vulnerable households develop alternative sources of income linked to a better value chain and integrated farming capacity to reach long term & sustainable resilience.
- Targeted communities were able to adjust and adapt to good farming practices.
- Shared knowledge and skills on farming practices.
- Improved production and start to engage in farming for income.
- Caritas Svizzera
Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSE AGRICOLTURA
Sotto-Settore in base alle categorie del Comitato di Aiuto allo sviluppo (DAC) dell'OCSEAgricultural services
Agricultural water resources
Temi trasversali Prevenzione delle crisi
Tipo di aiuto Contributo al progetto e al programma
Numero del progetto
|Contesto||South Sudan, which is in a state of protracted crisis, is facing severe deterioration of food systems and food security. Conflict-induced insecurity and displacement have had grave consequences for production of crop, livestock and fisheries – the main source of income and food security for the population. Market failures, economic volatility and already underdeveloped value chains before the conflict further exacerbate the situation. Food insecurity also continues to persist due to the cumulative effects of unpredictable rainfall, poor farming practices and bad storage systems. In the state of Torit, 30-40% of the population are considered food insecure (IPC level 3).|
|Obiettivi||The overall goal of this project is to increase the resilience of women, men and children in Torit State.|
|Gruppi target||1’500 farmers (agricultural production), 1’000 mothers/caretakers (village gardens), 150 vulnerable households (alternative income), 6’000 households & 5000 school children (access to improved hygiene & water schemes). 5,000 school children as above (improved farming techniques).|
|Effetti a medio termine||
The outcomes of this project include:
Risultati principali attesi:
Key outputs for the planned phase include, but are not limited to:
Risultati fasi precedenti:
This will be the first support to the project by Switzerland. A similar outlined project funded by South Cooperation and implemented by FAO shows:
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto||
Organizzazione svizzera senza scopo di lucro
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori||Partnership for Recovery and Resilience (PfRR), Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, State Ministry of Physical Infrastructure, State Ministry of Education, local NGOs, WFP, FAO, USAID|
|Budget||Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 1’962’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 1’882’000|