Visa – Entry to and residence in Switzerland

Various regulations apply for entering Switzerland. A basic distinction is made between citizens of the European Union (EU) and European Free Trade Association (EFTA) countries and those of other countries. The State Secretariat for Migration (SEM) is the responsible authority in Switzerland.


Since Switzerland’s adherence to the Schengen and Dublin agreements came into force (12 December 2008), Swiss representations abroad are able to issue certain categories of visa, depending on the length of stay and purpose of the journey in Switzerland. Please select one of the following options.

Tourism in Switzerland

We remind you that Brazilian citizens do not need a visa to visit Switzerland as tourists. The maximum length of stay is 90 days within a period of 180 days, including the Schengen area. When entering Switzerland, the tourist must present a return flight ticket. Travel insurance valid for the Schengen area is also required. The Brazilian passport must be valid for at least another 3 months after the departure date.

National Visa D – stays of more than 90 days

Attention: Appointment for visa D (studies, family reunion, preparation for marriage): Please inform yourself in advance about the documentation to be submitted and come by on the agreed day with the complete documentation as required. 

National Visa D: Documents to be enclosed for the application and arrangement of an appointment

Schengen visa for a stay of up to 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a short stay of up to 90 days within a 180-day period: for example, in a context of tourism, a visit to relatives or friends, short-term language studies, participating in a conference or in sporting/cultural events, etc.

National visa for a stay of more than 90 days

For persons wishing to enter Switzerland for a stay of more than 90 days within a 180-day period. It is subject to the authorisation of the cantonal migration authority competent for the intended place of residence. For example: long-term student, family reunification, marriage in Switzerland, etc.

Airport transit visa

For citizens of certain countries who need a transit visa even if they are staying in the international transit area of the airport and do not enter the Schengen territory.

Labour / Work permits

Admission of foreign workers to an employer in Switzerland is subject to the authorisation of the competent cantonal authority. The entry visa is granted only when the requested authorisations have been delivered.