Stimulating Participation and Civic Engagement
The project empowers Cambodian youth to engage in public life, while shifting negative norms and attitudes around youth participation. BBC Media Action creates inclusive on- and offline spaces for civic engagement, encourages a dialogue of youth and decision-makers and strengthens the provision of media for youth. Switzerland’s expertise in civic engagement will be coupled with BBC Media Action’s know-how in media production and complemented with outreach work by three local organisations.
Cultura / sensibilizzazione allo sviluppo
Partecipazione democratica e società civile
Media e libertà di informazione
Cultura e svago
- Settore privato straniero Sud/Est
|The current political environment in Cambodia limits rather than facilitates civic participation and civic space is becoming increasingly constricted. Basic citizens’ rights and freedoms are acknowledged in policies but not yet fully implemented, and far from guaranteed. The crackdown on independent media, dissolution of the main opposition party and monitoring of group meetings means that civic engagement is perceived to be an increasingly risky activity. While an increase in the use of social media and messaging apps creates opportunities for self-expression, networking and civic engagement, it also carries risks for Cambodian users and becomes progressively restricted.
|Young Cambodian women and men actively participate in public life which enables them to influence decision-making.
- Youth groups
- Media practitioners (including filmmakers)
- Audience (citizens)
- Parents, community leaders and other decision-makers
|Effetti a medio termine
1. Young women and men have improved knowledge on civic issues and ways to participate in public life;
2. Young women and men have increased skills, confidence, motivation and networks to participate in public life;
3. Young women and men have sustained opportunities to express themselves and engage in constructive dialogue and discussion on public issues;
4. More positive attitudes towards young women and men’s participation in public life are held by parents, community gatekeepers and decision-makers.
Risultati principali attesi:
- Skills development of media practitioners to produce public interest content for young people on civic issues;
- Production at scale of public interest media content providing young women and men with information on civic issues and creating opportunities for them to have constructive dialogue with decision-makers;
- Provision of offline opportunities and safe and inclusive online platforms for young women and men to build soft or transferable skills and develop their networks relating to civic engagement;
- Creation and convening of opportunities at community level for young women and men to collaborate with decision-makers on addressing issues of public importance.
Risultati fasi precedenti: This project builds on BBC Media Action’s previous projects Loy9 and Klahan9. Loy9 improved the civic knowledge and electoral participation of over two million young Cambodian viewers. BBC Media Action drew on these achievements to build the Klahan9 project, supported by Sida. Klahan9 has reached 2.3 million people through TV and boasts over 1 million Klahan9 Facebook followers, supporting them to secure decent work by providing information about economic and employment opportunities, building self-efficacy and motivation. Sound data prove the impact on knowledge and behaviour – 83% of young people who have seen/heard about Klahan9 say that they have learned something from its content and 57% say that they have made a change or taken action as a result. Given the reach of the Klahan9 brand and platform, which will also be used by the new project, this offers considerable value for money in terms of return on investment.
Cooperazione allo sviluppo
|Partner del progetto
ONG internazionale o straniera
BBC Media Action (BBCMA)
|Coordinamento con altri progetti e attori
|Sida, YCC, YRDP, and Bophana Center
|Fase in corso Budget Svizzera CHF 2’625’000 Budget svizzero attualmente già speso CHF 2’273’347