In order to make the most effective use of the funds available for cooperation with Eastern Europe, Switzerland sets certain thematic priorities. In setting its priorities, it takes account of Switzerland's expertise in the various areas, the needs of communities and Switzerland's interests.
Priorities of cooperation with Eastern Europe
The SDC has set the following priorities for its cooperation with Eastern Europe programme:
- Good governance, including strengthening national and local institutions and basic public services, social inclusion and combating corruption.
- Economic development by strengthening the private sector and job creation, with a particular emphasis on vocational education and training
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation, environmental protection and disaster risk reduction, including water management.
In terms of Switzerland's contribution to selected EU member states, SDC and SECO programmes focus on:
- Promoting economic growth and improving working conditions
- Improving social security
- Protecting the environment
- Increasing public safety
- Strengthening civil society