Contribution to the International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD)
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving its member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalayan Region. The SDC support will contribute to climate resilient and inclusive development of vulnerable mountain communities through strengthening ICIMOD’s regional role and capacity in climate science and relevance in regional policy dialogue.
A nivel mundial
Cambio climático y medio ambiente
Conflito y fragilidad
Preservación de los recursos hídricos
Prevención de los conflictos
- Regional member country policies, strategies, and development programmes critical to water resources management and disaster risk reduction are influenced in the areas of river basins and cryosphere
- Enhanced capacity and collaboration among universities, research alliances, policy makers, and youth for sustainable development in the HKH and adjoining regions.
- Enhanced resilience of Hindu Kush Himalaya’s women and men to socio-economic and environmental changes, including climate change
- An effective regional platform that uses science policy dialogues for regional cooperation is established
- A regional cryosphere hub to collate and share information regarding snow, glaciers, permafrost, and glacial hazards is established
- Regional and national institutions making use of the gender sensitive resilient mountain solution approach to reduce risks and vulnerabilities and promote resilience
- International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
|With its vast reserves of snow and ice, the Hindu Kush Himalayan Region (HKH) is the source of ten large Asian river systems that provide water and ecosystem services to more than 210 million people and supply water downstream to more than 1.3 billion people. The HKH region has experienced great changes in the past ten years, with rapid population growth, economic and infrastructure development and urbanization. Most prominently, the HKH region has gained worldwide attention as hotspot of climate change. Mountain ecosystems are exceptionally fragile and are particularly vulnerable to the negative effects of climate change.
|The overall objective for SDC in the partnership with ICIMOD is to contribute to climate resilient and inclusive development of vulnerable mountain communities through strengthening ICIMOD’s regional role and capacity in climate science and relevance in regional policy dialogue. The main and common focus of SDC core and earmarked support is to strengthen ICIMOD’s role as regional policy dialogue platform and to increase the relevance of ICIMOD’s thematic work on climate change, cryosphere and river basins.
|ICIMOD’s work is relevant and useful for mountain people, development workers, environment and natural resource managers, local, national and regional policy makers and planners, and students and teachers. According to ICIMOD’s vision, men, women and children of the HKH region are to benefit from improved well-being in a healthy mountain environment.
|Efectos a medio plazo
Resultados de las fases anteriores: SDC is supporting ICIMOD since its inception in 1983. During this period ICIMOD became a leading institution in sustainable mountain development in the region and also on the global level. It is largely recognized by scientific communities and in capacity development of academic institutions. As found in a comprehensive review in 2016, its role in regional policy dialogues is still below its potential. Other recommendations included to increase the focus on member countries needs and priorities and to mainstream gender in the programmes. Cross-fertilization between ICIMOD programmes and SDC projects was below potential and needs to be strengthened.
|Dirección / Officina Federal responsable
Cooperación al desarrollo
|Contrapartes del proyecto
Contraparte del contrato
Otra organización internacional
SDC, DFID, SIDA, NORAD, AdA, NASA/USAID, DFAT (Australia), GIZ/BMZ, IDRC (Canada), regional member countries
|Coordinación con otros proyectos y actores
IHCAP, 3SCA, GLACIARES+ , Jinsha River Basin, CICADA (Blue Peace)
UNFCCC, Agenda 2030
|Fase en curso Presupuesto suizo CHF 5’000’000 Presupuesto actual suizo ya emitido CHF 5’000’000
|Fases del proyecto
(Fase en curso)
Fase 1 01.12.2017 - 31.12.2022 (Completed)