Increased availability of financial services to the rural population is one of the main objectives of the Government as defined in the 5-year Government Plan 2015-19. This project aims at offering diversified financial services to micro and small entrepreneurs, men and women farmers who are part of the 85% not having access. Those services will be delivered in a professional and profitable manner by a micro-bank, which will further expand to strategic areas in rural and peri-urban Mozambique.
Emploi & développement économique
Agriculture et sécurité alimentaire
Soutien commerciale & inclusion économique
Développement de petites et moyennes entreprises
- Women micro-entrepreneurs;
- Smallholder farmers;
- Small entrepreneurs (gender disaggregated).
- Access and proximity to diversified financial services by low-income rural and urban men and women in Northern Mozambique is increased.
- Diversified palette of financial services offered by the new bank, which will include products targeting poor small men and women farmers to increase their assets and lift them out of poverty.
- Broadening of the bank’s investor base in order to allow bank consolidation, expansion and bigger coverage.
- Focus on broadening the investor base. SDC will phase out from the bank after break-even in 2020.
- Build a stronger and more suitable management team, building a more professional field sales team, building a quality loan portfolio quickly enough, and preventing arrears at risk (late repayment).
- Procure technical assistance to ensure that this critical element of the bank becomes easier and more effective.
- Sectreur privé étranger Sud/Est
Mozambique has been one of the most dynamic economies in Africa, but it remains one of the world’s least developed countries. Growth has not translated into structural transformation and poverty reduction has stagnated. One of the major bottlenecks for this inclusion is the almost non-existence of financial services for small enterprises and farmers in the rural area.
In line with the National Strategy for Financial Inclusion 2016-22, the SDC Country Strategy 2017-20 and the Federal Dispatch 2017-20 priority themes, SDC supports the re-opening of a micro-finance bank that serves the low segments of the population in Northern Mozambique, particularly women. The bank was inaugurated in October 2017 with the new name Futuro Microbank. SDC has been driving Futuro Microbank as its primary capital investor and initial shareholder. SDC does not wish to commit any further capital investment into the bank. The investor portfolio needs to be diversified. Other like-minded investors who share the same commercial and / or social development goals will join this important initiative. Nevertheless, for the moment, the bank requires short to medium-term technical assistance support. Through this Credit Proposal, SDC is committing funding for Technical Assistance until 2019.
|Objectifs||Increase of employment, income and wealth of rural and urban poor in Northern Mozambique through increased availability of financial products tailored to their needs.|
|Effets à moyen terme||
Principaux résultats attendus: A solid and financially sustainable micro-bank that will branch out within five years, serving 6,000 small solidarity groups with average 5 members each and a total outreach of over 27,000 clients.
Principaux résultats antérieurs:
A microfinance institution is needed to cater for the lower segments of the population who live in a vicious poverty cycle. The previous phase (previous bank) was able to reach out to 11’000 clients with one bank branch only. For the new bank, there is need to:
|Direction/office fédéral responsable||
Coopération au développement
|Partenaire de projet||
Other microfinance institutions and potential future investors.
|Coordination avec d'autres projets et acteurs||Central Bank of Mozambique, the Micro Finance Association, the National Directorate for Rural Development, Financial Sector Deepening Project (FSD Moz), INOVAGRO project, HortiSempre project, KfW Bankengruppe.|
|Budget||Phase en cours Budget de la Suisse CHF 1'890'000 Budget suisse déjà attribué CHF 825'171|
|Phases du projet||Phase 3 01.04.2018 - 30.06.2020 (Phase en cours) Phase 2 01.07.2012 - 31.12.2017 (Completed) Phase 1 01.08.2008 - 31.07.2012 (Completed)|