Joining your family

Visas for family reunification may only be applied for at the consular representation of Argentina corresponding to the foreign national's place of residence. This type of visa is available for the spouse, child or parent of a native-born, naturalised or by option Argentine citizen. A foreigner who is the spouse, parent, child under 18 or disabled child of a foreign national with permanent residence may also obtain this visa. 

Registering marriages contracted abroad

Marriages contracted abroad or registered partnerships under civil law are recognised in Switzerland and must be registered with the Swiss civil status authorities. Swiss nationals who get married abroad are required to register their marriage with the competent Swiss representation abroad. The representation translates and authenticates the marriage certificate and forwards it to the civil status authority in Switzerland free of charge. In exceptional cases, you can also notify your cantonal civil status authority, which will forward the marriage certificate and related documents to the representation abroad for translation and authentication. In this case you will be required to pay a fee.

Find out what you need to do as early as possible

Before you get married or register a partnership, contact your Swiss representation to find out what you will need to do to make sure your marriage is recognised and registered in the civil status register without delay.

Registered partnerships

Argentina has permitted same-sex marriage since 2010. Homosexuality is widely accepted in society. 


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page