The FDFA provides information only on a periodic basis and does not guarantee the accuracy or comprehensiveness of the information provided. Article 5 of the Swiss Abroad Act stipulates that every individual shall exercise personal responsibility when planning or undertaking a stay abroad or when working abroad.

L’immagine mostra il Bosforo e la Moschea Blu di Istanbul.
Panoramic picture of Istanbul. © Unsplash

Foreign nationals wishing to visit Turkey are strongly advised to read the information on Turkey's visa arrangements. Visa requirements for tourism and business trips to a country may differ from those for business and educational visits. Moreover, Turkey's visa arrangements may differ according to the principle of reciprocity. While some foreign nationals are exempt from a visa for their tourist or business visit to Turkey, others can obtain an electronic visa. All other applicants must apply for a visa through Turkish representations abroad.

Swiss citizens may enter Turkey with their national identity documents in accordance with the European Agreement on Regulations governing the Movement of Persons between Member States of the Council of Europe. Holders of a regular or official passport are exempt from the visa requirement for travel of up to 90 days. As set out in the Law of Foreigners and International Protection No. 6458, the residence permit is the document issued for the purpose of staying in Turkey. This document, issued by the competent authorities, entitles the holder to stay in a designated place in Turkey for a specific period of time.

A residence permit is a document issued to foreign nationals who wish to stay in Turkey. Foreign nationals who wish to stay in Turkey for longer than the period allowed by a standard visa, visa waiver or 90 days, must apply for the type of residence permit for which they believe they qualify via the electronic residence system. Foreign nationals who have completed the application must report to the provincial/district migration management offices in the province where they wish to live.

Swiss pensioners planning to retire in Turkey must apply for a visa or residence permit from the relevant Turkish representation. As a rule, applicants must provide proof that they have health insurance and sufficient financial resources (e.g. pension confirmation, savings account with minimum balance) for the stay. Check with the Turkish representation which documents you need to submit in your particular case. 

Visa for Turkey

Entry and visa regulations may change at any time. The relevant diplomatic or consular mission (embassy or consulate) of your destination country will provide binding information on current entry and visa regulations.

Registration with the Swiss representation abroad 


Swiss nationals who are relocating abroad must register with the competent Swiss representation (embassy or consulate) abroad. They must do so within 90 days of the date on which they deregistered from their last commune of residence in Switzerland. You can register directly at the representation or via the online desk. To register as a Swiss citizen abroad, you need a valid passport (or a valid ID), a deregistration certificate and, if you have one, a certificate of origin.


Registration is free of charge. Registering will enable the Swiss authorities to contact you in an emergency and facilitate speedier processing of administrative matters such as issuing an identity or civil status document. Registering is also a good way to stay in touch with Switzerland. Swiss citizens who are registered with a Swiss representation abroad receive the Swiss Review – the magazine for the Swiss community abroad – free of charge. If you are over 18, you can also register to vote on initiatives and in referendums and elections in Switzerland.

Vaccination and health

The Healthy Travel website provides vaccination recommendations and up-to-date information on infectious diseases. Please check vaccination recommendations before you travel.


Innovation and Partnerships

Consular Directorate CD
Effingerstrasse 27
3003 Bern


Helpline +41 800 24-7-365 / +41 58 465 33 33

Start of page